all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* entering CJK full-width space
@ 2005-06-28  5:06 Werner LEMBERG
From: Werner LEMBERG @ 2005-06-28  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

It seems to me that it is non-trivial to enter a full-width space
character (U+3000, Big5 0xA140, etc.) within Emacs.  How do you handle
this?  At least for the `chinese-py-punct' and `chinese-py-punct-b5'
methods I suggest that the combination `v' `<space>' creates a
full-width space.  Maybe it's even useful to define a function
`insert-fullwidth-space' which checks the current encoding and takes
the appropriate action.

    Werner

* Re: entering CJK full-width space
@ 2005-06-28  6:52 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2005-06-28  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

In article <20050628.070656.28797687.wl@gnu.org>, Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> writes:

> It seems to me that it is non-trivial to enter a full-width space
> character (U+3000, Big5 0xA140, etc.) within Emacs.  How do you handle
> this?  At least for the `chinese-py-punct' and `chinese-py-punct-b5'
> methods I suggest that the combination `v' `<space>' creates a
> full-width space.

I've just installed a change for that.

> Maybe it's even useful to define a function
> `insert-fullwidth-space' which checks the current encoding and takes
> the appropriate action.

I don't think it's not worth making such a command.

In my opiniion, U+3000 should be a deprecated character.  At
least we Japanese don't use it that much because hitting
space in Japanese input method is usually for converting the
preedit hiragana sequence.  When there's no preedit text,
some input methods insert nomal space, and some insert
full-width space.  But, long ago I heard that many people
don't like the latter behaviour.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: entering CJK full-width space
@ 2005-06-28  7:10   ` Werner LEMBERG
From: Werner LEMBERG @ 2005-06-28  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> > At least for the `chinese-py-punct' and `chinese-py-punct-b5'
> > methods I suggest that the combination `v' `<space>' creates a
> > full-width space.
>
> I've just installed a change for that.

Thanks.

> In my opiniion, U+3000 should be a deprecated character.  At least
> we Japanese don't use it that much because hitting space in Japanese
> input method is usually for converting the preedit hiragana
> sequence.  When there's no preedit text, some input methods insert
> nomal space, and some insert full-width space.  But, long ago I
> heard that many people don't like the latter behaviour.

At least in Chinese the full-width space character is used very often.
For example, it is a standard typography rule to start a paragraph
with two full-width spaces.

@ 2005-06-28  7:38     ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2005-06-28  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

In article <20050628.091033.198224069.wl@gnu.org>, Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> writes:

> At least in Chinese the full-width space character is used very often.
> For example, it is a standard typography rule to start a paragraph
> with two full-width spaces.

I see.

Japanese also uses a typography rule to start a paragraph
with one full-width space in some context.  But that is only
in a well type-set text, and in a plane text, it's rare.  In
TeX, how to indent a paragraph is controlled by a style
file, and users don't have to (or should not) insert
full-width space.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: entering CJK full-width space
@ 2005-06-28 12:00       ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2005-06-28 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On 6/28/05, Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> wrote:
> Japanese also uses a typography rule to start a paragraph
> with one full-width space in some context.  But that is only
> in a well type-set text, and in a plane text, it's rare.

Anyway, isn't two ascii spaces good enough in most contexts?

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

* Re: entering CJK full-width space
@ 2005-06-28 12:11         ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2005-06-28 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

In article <fc339e4a05062805001147c37a@mail.gmail.com>, Miles Bader <snogglethorpe@gmail.com> writes:

> On 6/28/05, Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> wrote:
>>  Japanese also uses a typography rule to start a paragraph
>>  with one full-width space in some context.  But that is only
>>  in a well type-set text, and in a plane text, it's rare.

> Anyway, isn't two ascii spaces good enough in most contexts?

Mostly.  But, when we are using proportional fonts for
latin, spaces are too narrow, and that is the usual case in
TeX.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org