all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* In FOR-RELEASE
@ 2005-06-17 18:47 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-06-17 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

FOR-RELEASE mentiones these bugs:

    ** Investigate reported crashes in compact_small_strings.

    ** Investigate reported crashes related to using an
    invalid pointer from string_free_list.

They were reported a long time ago, before we realized it was a good
idea to copy the actual bug reports there.  They have not been
reported recently that I recall.  Does anyone recall seeing such
bugs recently?

Is there any reason to think they are fixed already?

Could someone possibly search for these bug reports,
see who reported them, etc?

* Re: In FOR-RELEASE
@ 2005-06-20 13:08 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-06-20 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri, Jun 17 2005, Richard Stallman wrote:

> FOR-RELEASE mentiones these bugs:
>
>     ** Investigate reported crashes in compact_small_strings.
>
>     ** Investigate reported crashes related to using an
>     invalid pointer from string_free_list.
>
> They were reported a long time ago, before we realized it was a good
> idea to copy the actual bug reports there.  They have not been
> reported recently that I recall.  Does anyone recall seeing such
> bugs recently?
>
> Is there any reason to think they are fixed already?
>
> Could someone possibly search for these bug reports,
> see who reported them, etc?

I've submitted a bug report concerning compact_small_strings:

,----[ http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.pretest.bugs/3866 ]
| From: Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de>
| Subject: redisplay problem (compact_small_strings)
| To: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org
| Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:35:03 +0200
`----

This problem was solved later, IIRC.  I didn't see this problem in the
last months.

A different one concerning compact_small_strings was:

,----[ http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.pretest.bugs/4371 ]
| From: Stephen Eglen <S.J.Eglen@damtp.cam.ac.uk>
| Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.pretest.bugs
| Subject: seg fault in compact_small_strings()
| Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:49:55 +0100
| To: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org
`----

Kim F. Storm sent a patch and Stephen Eglen posted a different
backtrace.

Some search results for compact_small_strings on emacs-devel are:

| From: Kim F. Storm <storm@cua.dk>
| Subject: Fix to long-standing crashes in GC
| To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
| Date: 2004-05-12 13:19:54 GMT

| From: Bob Halley <halley@play-bow.org>
| Subject: random core dumps
| To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
| Date: 2002-12-05 12:06:14 GMT

| From: Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org>
| Subject: cvs head crash in GC
| To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
| Date: 2003-04-01 00:24:56 GMT

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: In FOR-RELEASE
@ 2005-06-20 17:16   ` Stephen Eglen
From: Stephen Eglen @ 2005-06-20 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Richard Stallman, emacs-devel

Reiner Steib writes:
 > On Fri, Jun 17 2005, Richard Stallman wrote:
 >
 > > FOR-RELEASE mentiones these bugs:
 > >
 > >     ** Investigate reported crashes in compact_small_strings.
 > >
 > >     ** Investigate reported crashes related to using an
 > >     invalid pointer from string_free_list.
 > >
 > > They were reported a long time ago, before we realized it was a good
 > > idea to copy the actual bug reports there.  They have not been
 > > reported recently that I recall.  Does anyone recall seeing such
 > > bugs recently?
 > >
 > > Is there any reason to think they are fixed already?
 > >
 > > Could someone possibly search for these bug reports,
 > > see who reported them, etc?

 > This problem was solved later, IIRC.  I didn't see this problem in the
 > last months.
 >
 > A different one concerning compact_small_strings was:
 >
 > ,----[ http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.pretest.bugs/4371 ]
 > | From: Stephen Eglen <S.J.Eglen@damtp.cam.ac.uk>
 > | Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.pretest.bugs
 > | Subject: seg fault in compact_small_strings()
 > | Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:49:55 +0100
 > | To: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org
 > `----
 >
 > Kim F. Storm sent a patch and Stephen Eglen posted a different
 > backtrace.

With CVS of 2005-05-31, I still get occasional dumps (once/twice a
week), and they usually seem to be when I'm going to get new mail
using VM 7.17.  I am now running emacs under gdb again so the next
time I get an error, I can send a backtrace to whoever wants to see
it!  But am I the only one who sees them nowadays?

M-x emacs-version

GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.0.6) of
2005-05-31 on notch.amtp.cam.ac.uk

Stephen

* Re: In FOR-RELEASE
@ 2005-06-21  1:02     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2005-06-21  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, Richard Stallman, Reiner Steib

On 6/21/05, Stephen Eglen <S.J.Eglen@damtp.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> With CVS of 2005-05-31, I still get occasional dumps (once/twice a
> week), and they usually seem to be when I'm going to get new mail
> using VM 7.17.  I am now running emacs under gdb again so the next
> time I get an error, I can send a backtrace to whoever wants to see
> it!  But am I the only one who sees them nowadays?

I've never had such a crash, but I don't use VM.  I have the
impression VM has always been a bit odd in some ways (in particular
its approach to encoding/decoding), so it may tickle some otherwise
rare bugs.

[Emacs has been pretty solid lately for me (the main crashing problems
I used to have were the old face cache bugs, but those seem to have
been fixed).]

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

* Re: In FOR-RELEASE
@ 2005-06-21  2:00   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-06-21  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for looking this up.  I wrote to Stephen Eglen.