all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* generic list/select interface
@ 2005-05-21 22:44 Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2005-05-21 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have some data structure that is similar to the list of buffers.  Is
the easiest way for me to make a selection interface for this list to
modify the code from buff-menu.el or is there some "more generic"
selection interface that would be a better starting place?

* Re: generic list/select interface
       [not found] <mailman.1233.1116715801.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-05-21 23:45 ` Pascal Bourguignon
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1241.1116721382.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2005-05-21 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu> writes:

> I have some data structure that is similar to the list of buffers.  Is
> the easiest way for me to make a selection interface for this list to
> modify the code from buff-menu.el or is there some "more generic"
> selection interface that would be a better starting place?

Have a look at completing-read

Note that when you type TAB during a completing-read, it displays all
the available completions.

(completing-read "What? " '("Apple" "Orange" "Watermelon" "Melon" "Banana"))

* Re: generic list/select interface
@ 2005-05-22  0:20   ` Joe Corneli
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1241.1116721382.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe Corneli @ 2005-05-22  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu> writes:

   > I have some data structure that is similar to the list of buffers.  Is
   > the easiest way for me to make a selection interface for this list to
   > modify the code from buff-menu.el or is there some "more generic"
   > selection interface that would be a better starting place?

   Have a look at completing-read

   Note that when you type TAB during a completing-read, it displays all
   the available completions.

The data I am working with is fairly "rich" and completing-read does
not seem right for this sort of data.  I like the idea of having
several columns with different data fields in them, as in the Buffer
List.

@ 2005-05-22  0:59     ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2005-05-22  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu> writes:

> several columns with different data fields in them,
> as in the Buffer List.

for temporary data, see `Electric-command-loop' and its
primary client, `electric-buffer-list'.  (there are many
other buffer-selection libraries to browse as well.)

for persistent data, see "Summary" support in EDB.  aside
from the examples/ subdir, skram/ may also be interesting.

thi

* Re: generic list/select interface
@ 2005-05-22 14:12       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-05-22 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> several columns with different data fields in them,
>> as in the Buffer List.

> for temporary data, see `Electric-command-loop' and its
> primary client, `electric-buffer-list'.  (there are many
> other buffer-selection libraries to browse as well.)

> for persistent data, see "Summary" support in EDB.  aside
> from the examples/ subdir, skram/ may also be interesting.

Maybe Emacs-21's ewoc.el is also relevant (it's used by PCL-CVS).