all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: byte-compiling .emacs
@ 2005-04-11 14:33               ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2005-04-11 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phillip Lord <p.lord@cs.man.ac.uk> writes:

>   Joe>    On Sun, Apr 10 2005, Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu>
>   Joe>    wrote:
>
>   >> But, note, what you should really do is byte compile the .emacs,
>
>   Joe>    Why?  Typically this isn't worth the trouble ("Changes is my
>   Joe>    .emacs are ignored!!!1 What's wrong???ß").
>

>   Joe> OK, I guess I was wrong.  I personally always byte compile mine
>   Joe> b/c otherwise emacs complains that the source file is newer.
>   Joe> Other people might not have that problem :).  But perhaps I'm
>   Joe> the one who should change...
>
> If you don't byte-compile it at all, then it won't.

And of course remove the .elc file.

> I think that there is an auto recompile package out there somewhere.
> I never compiled my .emacs or subsidiary files myself. I doubt that it
> makes that much difference.

It does make a difference for me (but only a few seconds difference),
but I probably have too much junk in it.  At any rate, I moved most of
the junk to subsidiary files, which I do compile (and have to remember
to recompile whenever I change them), and have my (uncompiled) .emacs
do little more than load them.

At any rate, even when I didn't compile, the overhead was a one-time
(per boot) overhead of a few seconds, so not compiling was never
really a problem.

Jay

* Re: byte-compiling .emacs
       [not found]             ` <mailman.1067.1113227351.2895.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-04-11 17:19               ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-04-11 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 11.04.2005 um 15:10 schrieb Joe Corneli:
>
>> I personally always byte compile mine b/c otherwise emacs complains
>> that the source file is newer
>
> If GNU Emacs complains in that way, I just delete its reason to
> complain about! Isn't that radical?!

Yes, it is.  Personally I would not want to delete the source file of
anything just to be spared an odd complaint.

* Re: byte-compiling .emacs
@ 2005-04-11 19:41                 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-04-11 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 11.04.2005 um 19:19 schrieb David Kastrup:

> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> writes:
>
>> Am 11.04.2005 um 15:10 schrieb Joe Corneli:
>>
>>> I personally always byte compile mine b/c otherwise emacs complains
>>> that the source file is newer
>>
>> If GNU Emacs complains in that way, I just delete its reason to
>> complain about! Isn't that radical?!
>
> Yes, it is.  Personally I would not want to delete the source file of
> anything just to be spared an odd complaint.

Why would you like to do such weird mistakes?! The .elc file is the
anachronistic one: the elder folks get deleted and the younger ones
have to go to work -- or unemployment office.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped. - Groucho Marx

* Re: byte-compiling .emacs
@ 2005-04-12  0:58                 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2005-04-12  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8764yto02m.fsf@vh213602.truman.edu>,
 Jay Belanger <belanger@truman.edu> wrote:

> >   Joe>    On Sun, Apr 10 2005, Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu>
> >   Joe>    wrote:
> >
> >   >> But, note, what you should really do is byte compile the .emacs,
> >
> >   Joe>    Why?  Typically this isn't worth the trouble ("Changes is my
> >   Joe>    .emacs are ignored!!!1 What's wrong???ß").
> >

> >   Joe> OK, I guess I was wrong.  I personally always byte compile mine
> >   Joe> b/c otherwise emacs complains that the source file is newer.
> >   Joe> Other people might not have that problem :).  But perhaps I'm
> >   Joe> the one who should change...
> >
> > If you don't byte-compile it at all, then it won't.
>
> And of course remove the .elc file.

But if you don't byte-compile it at all, where would that file have come
from?

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: byte-compiling .emacs
@ 2005-04-12  1:31               ` Quokka
From: Quokka @ 2005-04-12  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phillip Lord wrote:

>   Joe>    On Sun, Apr 10 2005, Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu>
>   Joe>    wrote:
>
>   >> But, note, what you should really do is byte compile the .emacs,
>
>   Joe>    Why?  Typically this isn't worth the trouble ("Changes is my
>   Joe>    .emacs are ignored!!!1 What's wrong???ß").
>

>   Joe> OK, I guess I was wrong.  I personally always byte compile mine
>   Joe> b/c otherwise emacs complains that the source file is newer.
>   Joe> Other people might not have that problem :).  But perhaps I'm
>   Joe> the one who should change...
>
> If you don't byte-compile it at all, then it won't.
>
> I think that there is an auto recompile package out there somewhere.
> I never compiled my .emacs or subsidiary files myself. I doubt that it
> makes that much difference.

Don't know that I would describe it as a "package"..
I picked this up somewhere along the way.
(Can't give credit to who or where as I forgot).

;; Make .emacs autocompile on exit

(defun autocompile nil
   "compile itself if ~/.emacs.el"
   (interactive)
   (if (string= (buffer-file-name) (concat default-directory ".emacs.el"))
       (byte-compile-file (buffer-file-name))))
(add-hook 'after-save-hook 'autocompile)

* Re: byte-compiling .emacs
@ 2005-04-12 18:48 Ryan Bowman
From: Ryan Bowman @ 2005-04-12 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > I think that there is an auto recompile package
> out there somewhere.
> > I never compiled my .emacs or subsidiary files
> myself. I doubt that it
> > makes that much difference.
>

> Don't know that I would describe it as a "package"..
> I picked this up somewhere along the way.
> (Can't give credit to who or where as I forgot).
>

> ;; Make .emacs autocompile on exit
>
> (defun autocompile nil
>    "compile itself if ~/.emacs.el"
>    (interactive)
>    (if (string= (buffer-file-name) (concat
> default-directory ".emacs.el"))
>        (byte-compile-file (buffer-file-name))))
> (add-hook 'after-save-hook 'autocompile)

Using the above I extended it to byte compile any file
that's major mode is emacs lisp.

Please suggest improvements.

(defun autocompile nil
  "Automatically byte compile a file if it is in
emacs-lisp-mode."
  (interactive)
  (if (string= major-mode "emacs-lisp-mode")
      (progn
        (message (concat "Byte Compiling file: "
buffer-file-name))
        (byte-compile-file (buffer-file-name)))))

(add-hook 'after-save-hook 'autocompile)

----
Ryan Bowman

While any text editor can save your files, only Emacs can save your soul. -- Per Abrahamsen

Emacs is not built by hate of vi. vi is irrelevant - it is no more than a strange punishment that the unbelievers submit themselves to. -- Matan Ninio
----

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

* Re: byte-compiling .emacs
@ 2005-04-12 21:45 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-04-12 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ryan Bowman wrote:
 > Please suggest improvements.

Only add your auto-compile function to after-save-hook locally in
emacs-lisp-mode buffers, and only those buffers that are actually
visiting files.  Don't bother with message, since Emacs already
generates "Compiling /path/to/file.el...done" and "Wrote
/path/to/file.elc" messages.

(defun byte-compile-visited-file ()
   (let ((byte-compile-verbose t))
     (byte-compile-file buffer-file-name)))

(add-hook 'emacs-lisp-mode-hook
           (lambda ()
             (when buffer-file-name
               (add-hook (make-local-hook 'after-save-hook)
                         'byte-compile-visited-file
                         nil t))))

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: byte-compiling .emacs
@ 2005-04-12 22:24   ` Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2005-04-12 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm pretty sure I would prefer not to have it done after save but only
when the buffer is killed, so, my (minor) suggestion is to try adding
to `kill-buffer-hook' instead.

* Re: byte-compiling .emacs
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-04-14 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It does make a difference for me (but only a few seconds difference),
> but I probably have too much junk in it.  At any rate, I moved most of

I'd be interested to see this.  Have you actually measured it?
The only reason I can think of to see such a difference is if your .emacs
uses autoloaded macros, where the .elc file ends up not loading the
macro's definition.

* Re: byte-compiling .emacs
@ 2005-04-14 17:43                   ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2005-04-14 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> It does make a difference for me (but only a few seconds difference),
>> but I probably have too much junk in it.  At any rate, I moved most of
>
> I'd be interested to see this.  Have you actually measured it?

I had not measured it very accurately, but I thought I had counted to
myself as it was loading and noticed the difference.
However, I just tried it out (on a freshly booted system each time)
and let Emacs measure the times.  There was no real difference in the
times.
So ... oops or something.

Jay