all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* turning off underlining, bold, all faces
@ 2005-03-25 19:08 Karl Berry
From: Karl Berry @ 2005-03-25 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I mostly use Emacs (21.3) in tty mode.  I've tried various terminal
types, makes no apparent difference; currently using "xterm-color" for
no real reason.  I would like to turn off all faces, i.e., underlining,
bold, and other such "enhancements".  (I already don't have color,
despite the terminal type, and I'm happy about that.)

I see there was a long thread here about this about a year ago, around
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2004-04/msg00460.html.
The solution there was to do
  (global-font-lock-mode -1)
or
  (global-font-lock-mode nil)

That had no apparent effect for me.  Maybe it only related to colors.
For instance, the man buffer from M-x man man still has an ersatz bold
and underline for me, after the above.  Also, *Help* buffers from, eg,
describe-function, have underlining.

I see Joe Corneli posted a list of specific faces:
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2004-04/msg00443.html
Such a list is certainly better than nothing, but it seems painful and
unmaintainable in general.

Is there a generic way inside Emacs to just turn off everything?  (I saw
nothing in the manual or source about it, which surprises me, as it
seems so fundamental.)  If not, I wonder if devising a new terminal type
without the attributes would have the same effect.

Any advice welcome & appreciated.

Thanks,
karl

* Re: turning off underlining, bold, all faces
@ 2005-03-25 19:34 ` Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2005-03-25 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

This looks easier to maintain, and in combination with

(global-font-lock-mode -1)

should have you sitting pretty (add additional items to the list as
necessary).  It isn't quite turning off everything, but to be honest I
don't know what would be left after you've done this.

(copy-face 'default 'italic)
(copy-face 'default 'underline)
(copy-face 'default 'bold)
(copy-face 'default 'bold-italic)
(copy-face 'default 'button)

* Re: turning off underlining, bold, all faces
       [not found] <mailman.228.1111778664.28103.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-03-26  1:04 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2005-03-26  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

karl@freefriends.org (Karl Berry) writes:

> devising a new terminal type
> without the attributes would have the same effect.

here is a command you can use in emacs' src/ subdir:

sed -e '/T[SN]_.*= tget/!d' \
    -e 's/= tget......//' \
    -e 's/\".*//' \
    -e 's/.*\(T[SN]_.*\) \([^ ][^ ]*\)$/\2 \1/' \
    term.c

it shows which terminal capabilities are used by emacs
on console to effect bold, underline, etc.  you can copy
the vt100 entry from /etc/termcap (or wherever) and remove
those capabilities you wish to disable.  for example, to
zonk bold, change ":md=BLAH:" to ":".  save the entry to
~/.termcap and set the TERMCAP env var to that file.  you
have to exit/restart emacs at this point, (un)fortunately,
to use the new settings.

i've appended the output for those (poor souls) w/o access
to source code, or are otherwise uninclined to experiment,
or are otherwise bound by idiotic legal systems that mar
their free thought potential.

thi

____________________________
al TS_ins_line
AL TS_ins_multi_lines
bl TS_bell
cd TS_clr_to_bottom
ce TS_clr_line
cl TS_clr_frame
cs TS_set_scroll_region
cS TS_set_scroll_region_1
dc TS_del_char
DC TS_del_multi_chars
dl TS_del_line
DL TS_del_multi_lines
dm TS_delete_mode
ed TS_end_delete_mode
ei TS_end_insert_mode
ic TS_ins_char
IC TS_ins_multi_chars
im TS_insert_mode
ip TS_pad_inserted_char
ke TS_end_keypad_mode
ks TS_keypad_mode
pc TS_pad_char
rp TS_repeat
se TS_end_standout_mode
sf TS_fwd_scroll
so TS_standout_mode
sr TS_rev_scroll
te TS_end_termcap_modes
ti TS_termcap_modes
vb TS_visible_bell
ve TS_cursor_normal
vs TS_cursor_visible
vi TS_cursor_invisible
wi TS_set_window
us TS_enter_underline_mode
ue TS_exit_underline_mode
md TS_enter_bold_mode
mh TS_enter_dim_mode
mb TS_enter_blink_mode
mr TS_enter_reverse_mode
as TS_enter_alt_charset_mode
ae TS_exit_alt_charset_mode
me TS_exit_attribute_mode
op TS_orig_pair
AF TS_set_foreground
AB TS_set_background
Sf TS_set_foreground
Sb TS_set_background
Co TN_max_colors
pa TN_max_pairs
NC TN_no_color_video

* Re: turning off underlining, bold, all faces
@ 2005-03-26  1:20   ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2005-03-26  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

i forgot to mention: you need to set the TERM env var,
as well.  for example, renaming the entry as vt100-sedate:

  TERM=vt100-sedate ; export TERM
  TERMCAP=$HOME/.termcap ; export TERMCAP

happy hacking,
thi

@ 2005-03-26  2:07 ` Sean Richards
From: Sean Richards @ 2005-03-26  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

karl@freefriends.org (Karl Berry) writes:

> I mostly use Emacs (21.3) in tty mode.  I've tried various terminal
> types, makes no apparent difference; currently using "xterm-color" for
> no real reason.  I would like to turn off all faces, i.e., underlining,
> bold, and other such "enhancements".  (I already don't have color,
> despite the terminal type, and I'm happy about that.)

I use the following elisp to turn off bold faces

(defun unbold-all-faces ()
  "Clear the `bold' flag from all faces."
  (interactive)
  (dolist (f (face-list))
    (if (face-bold-p f) (set-face-bold-p f nil))))

(add-hook 'font-lock-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (unbold-all-faces)))

You could expand this for underline, etc. I found this in gnu.emacs.help a
few years ago, here is the Message ID of the original posting

87sn1x5clv.fsf@shadizar.dyndns.org

Cheers,  Sean

--
"Hver sin smak", sa vintapperen, han drakk mens de andre sloss."