all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [comp.emacs] Re: Search highlighted region
@ 2005-01-18  9:34 David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-01-18  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I found this in comp.emacs.  This addition seems sensible to me, and
since there is really no other way to do this sanely, I'd not think
it is copyrightable.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 911 bytes --]

From: bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård)
Subject: Re: Search highlighted region
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 01:11:59 +0100

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> In article <yoiju0piqlkx.fsf@frealaf.dd.chalmers.se>,
> Johan Bockgård <bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se> wrote:
>>dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:
>>
>>> What?  Pressing C-s C-h gives help on C-s?
>>>
>>> When I try it, after the C-h it gives me the same
>>> prompt as for a plain stand-alone C-h (and no choice-char).
>>
>>Adrian is using XEmacs, you are using Emacs (I assume).
>
> Oh my gosh -- you can do that in Xemacs?

All you need is this:

  (define-key isearch-mode-map "\C-h" 'isearch-mode-help)

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: [comp.emacs] Re: Search highlighted region
@ 2005-01-18 10:40 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2005-01-18 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> I found this in comp.emacs.  This addition seems sensible to me, and
> since there is really no other way to do this sanely, I'd not think
> it is copyrightable.

isearch.el contains this comment though:

   ;; Turned off because I find I expect to get the global definition--rms.
   ;; ;; Instead bind C-h to special help command for isearch-mode.
   ;; (define-key map "\C-h" 'isearch-mode-help)

--

@ 2005-01-18 11:23   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-01-18 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) writes:

> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> I found this in comp.emacs.  This addition seems sensible to me, and
>> since there is really no other way to do this sanely, I'd not think
>> it is copyrightable.
>
> isearch.el contains this comment though:
>
>    ;; Turned off because I find I expect to get the global definition--rms.
>    ;; ;; Instead bind C-h to special help command for isearch-mode.
>    ;; (define-key map "\C-h" 'isearch-mode-help)

Well, I disagree with Richard's assessment here.  In all other cases,
typing something "partially" gives us a good C-h behavior, like when
typing
C-x v C-h
or something.  I don't think it is too hard to type <RET> to exit an
isearch if you really want the top-level help.

And we don't have a way to get at isearch-mode-help otherwise: it is
not in our isearch-mode-map.

I think this is a mistake.  If the function were of no use, we would
not need it.

* Re: [comp.emacs] Re: Search highlighted region
@ 2005-01-18 13:10     ` Kim F. Storm
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2005-01-18 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) writes:
>
>> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>> I found this in comp.emacs.  This addition seems sensible to me, and
>>> since there is really no other way to do this sanely, I'd not think
>>> it is copyrightable.
>>
>> isearch.el contains this comment though:
>>
>>    ;; Turned off because I find I expect to get the global definition--rms.
>>    ;; ;; Instead bind C-h to special help command for isearch-mode.
>>    ;; (define-key map "\C-h" 'isearch-mode-help)
>
> Well, I disagree with Richard's assessment here.

Me too.

* RE: [comp.emacs] Re: Search highlighted region
@ 2005-01-18 15:26     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2005-01-18 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

    >    ;; Turned off because I find I expect to get the global
    >       definition--rms.
    >    ;; ;; Instead bind C-h to special help command for isearch-mode.
    >    ;; (define-key map "\C-h" 'isearch-mode-help)

    Well, I disagree with Richard's assessment here.  In all other cases,
    typing something "partially" gives us a good C-h behavior, like when
    typing C-x v C-h
    or something.  I don't think it is too hard to type <RET> to exit an
    isearch if you really want the top-level help.

    And we don't have a way to get at isearch-mode-help otherwise: it is
    not in our isearch-mode-map.

    I think this is a mistake.  If the function were of no use, we would
    not need it.

Agree. I turn it on. Those who need the search help most won't know about
it, without this being on.

* Re: [comp.emacs] Re: Search highlighted region
@ 2005-01-18 15:53     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-01-18 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

>> ;; Turned off because I find I expect to get the global definition--rms.
>> ;; ;; Instead bind C-h to special help command for isearch-mode.
>> ;; (define-key map "\C-h" 'isearch-mode-help)

> Well, I disagree with Richard's assessment here.

FWIW: Agreed (with David),

* Re: [comp.emacs] Re: Search highlighted region
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-01-18 23:48     ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2005-01-18 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
> bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) writes:
>> isearch.el contains this comment though:
>>
>>    ;; Turned off because I find I expect to get the global definition--rms.
>>    ;; ;; Instead bind C-h to special help command for isearch-mode.
>>    ;; (define-key map "\C-h" 'isearch-mode-help)
>
> Well, I disagree with Richard's assessment here.  In all other cases,
> typing something "partially" gives us a good C-h behavior, like when
> typing C-x v C-h or something.  I don't think it is too hard to type
> <RET> to exit an isearch if you really want the top-level help.

I agree that it's better to bind C-h to isearch-mode-help by default.

But is it possible to unbind it in .emacs for those users who want
to get the top-level help with C-h?  In older versions of isearch.el
there was such a comment:

      ;; You can reenable global keys by binding them locally to nil.
      ;; For the help char this doesnt work quite as expected because
      ;; isearch-mode is not a major mode.  Also the echo area is not
      ;; restored after the help command while isearch-mode is
      ;; still active.  Furthermore, we should not assume that the
      ;; help-command is on C-h.  But here is how it would be done:
      ;; (define-key map "\C-h" nil)

Perhaps this comment should be restored in isearch.el after uncommenting
the line with C-h binding.

And then what about [f1] and [help] keys?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: [comp.emacs] Re: Search highlighted region
@ 2005-01-19  0:49 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-01-19  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

It is very simple but I am not sure it is right.
I would rather conduct a poll of the users than try to
decide on my own.