all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Bug in x-server-version (w32)
@ 2004-10-29  4:32 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-10-29  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

x-server-version is supposed to return the version numbers
of the X protocol, plus a version number for the X server.
I copied that info from the doc string in xfns.c to that
in w32fns.c.  But I see the code doesn't do the right job.
It seems to return the version numbers of Windows rather than
that of the X protocol.

Could someone fix that code?

* Re: Bug in x-server-version (w32)
@ 2004-10-29  7:13 ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2004-10-29  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:
> x-server-version is supposed to return the version numbers
> of the X protocol, plus a version number for the X server.
> I copied that info from the doc string in xfns.c to that
> in w32fns.c.  But I see the code doesn't do the right job.
> It seems to return the version numbers of Windows rather than
> that of the X protocol.
>
> Could someone fix that code?

FWIW, the Mac OSX code for a carbon (non-X) build also returns the version of
the OS.  As there is no X server involved both for W32 and OSX, I don't know
what a fix would be.

	Jan D.

* Re: Bug in x-server-version (w32)
@ 2004-10-29  8:34   ` Dhruva Krishnamurthy
From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy @ 2004-10-29  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:13:25 +0200, Jan D. <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> wrote:
> Richard Stallman wrote:
> > x-server-version is supposed to return the version numbers
> > of the X protocol, plus a version number for the X server.
> > I copied that info from the doc string in xfns.c to that
> > in w32fns.c.  But I see the code doesn't do the right job.
> > It seems to return the version numbers of Windows rather than
> > that of the X protocol.
> >
> > Could someone fix that code?
>
> FWIW, the Mac OSX code for a carbon (non-X) build also returns the version of
> the OS.  As there is no X server involved both for W32 and OSX, I don't know
> what a fix would be.

 Under a CYGWIN environment, there could be an X server running
(XFree86 port) on Windoze box.

-dhruva

--
Proud FSF member: #1935
http://schemer.fateback.com/

* Re: Bug in x-server-version (w32)
@ 2004-10-29  9:19     ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2004-10-29  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:13:25 +0200, Jan D. <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> wrote:
>> Richard Stallman wrote:
>>> x-server-version is supposed to return the version numbers
>>> of the X protocol, plus a version number for the X server.
>>> I copied that info from the doc string in xfns.c to that
>>> in w32fns.c.  But I see the code doesn't do the right job.
>>> It seems to return the version numbers of Windows rather than
>>> that of the X protocol.
>>>
>>> Could someone fix that code?
>>
>> FWIW, the Mac OSX code for a carbon (non-X) build also returns the
>> version of
>> the OS.  As there is no X server involved both for W32 and OSX, I
>> don't know
>> what a fix would be.
>>

>  Under a CYGWIN environment, there could be an X server running
> (XFree86 port) on Windoze box.

But wouldn't Emacs use xfns.c in the build, not w32fns.c, then?

	Jan D.

* Re: Bug in x-server-version (w32)
@ 2004-10-30 14:19   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-10-30 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    FWIW, the Mac OSX code for a carbon (non-X) build also returns the version of
    the OS.  As there is no X server involved both for W32 and OSX, I don't know
    what a fix would be.

Maybe the fix is not to define this function
when there is no X.