all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: porting GNU Emacs to kde (?)
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 21:56:02 -0500	[thread overview]

Since we already have GTK support, there's no reason we could not
have equivalent Qt support, if it someone wants to maintain it.

However, GNOME is the main GNU desktop, and GNU packages are supposed
to support each other.  It would not be right for Emacs to have more
support for KDE than for GNOME.

    Though Marco's approach (as he told me) is possible, IMHO it is
    better to follow the former method because it can achieve far better
    integration with the kde environment, while implementing all the
    necessary "hooks" (and knowledge/code base) for a similar integration
    with the GNOME environment (ORBit(?)), which I suspect, follows a
    similar pattern.

Could someone investigate this?  It would be quite desirable to
integrate Emacs with GNOME in this way.  If the same work could make
this possible for GNOME and KDE, it would be pretty high priority--if
it is feasible and acceptable at all.

    As I'm not able to estimate the difficulties/complexity of such an
    approach (I'm not familiar with the emacs internals),

Unfortunately, I know nothing about what these interfaces look like.
You know only one half of the situation, and I know only the other
half.  It isn't feasible for me to browse a web site--could you email me
the text that describes the interface?