all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* displaying one character per line.
@ 2004-02-23  5:33 Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2004-02-23  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

What to do to get this to look like this:

:

I don't mean just the search-and-replace solution: I am thinking
that the buffer should have the same content as it does normally,
just shown in this weird display mode.  I'd also like to be able to
do a word-based version of the same thing:

What
do
get
this
look
like
this:

[parent not found: <mailman.311.1077514489.340.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* Re: displaying one character per line.
@ 2004-02-23 19:47 Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2004-02-23 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I want to be able to switch between different list views of a
document.  For example, one might want to look at a text document as
a list of characters, a list of words, a list of phonemes, a list
(tree) of syntactic clauses, a list of sentences, or a list of topic
sentences that link to paragraphs, etc. Characters just happen to be
the simplest.

This is part of designing a mode I call todl-mode (for TODo List).
TODL is a variation on LISP specially designed for cyborgs :).  The
idea is that if you can switch between different list views and add
hyperlinks to elements of each view, you will have a very powerful
tool for processing information.

I think of it as being somewhere in between lisp-mode,
emacs-wiki-mode, and something like outline-mode.  It should be
possible to implement a TODL variant for any kind of code (so
todl-mode is also something like font-lock-mode).