all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* customizing emacs at compile time (or with dump-emacs?)
@ 2004-02-21  1:43 Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2004-02-21  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was reading in the GNU Emacs Lisp Reference Manual about ways to
change the Emacs binary.  My .emacs has gotten fairly big, and I
think it would be nice to put together a new version of emacs that
incorporates my changes but that doesn't take a long time to load.
Would

% emacs -batch -f (dump-emacs my-emacs /full/path/to/emacs/)

do this for me?

* Re: customizing emacs at compile time (or with dump-emacs?)
       [not found] <mailman.223.1077327893.340.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-02-21  2:19 ` Billy O'Connor
From: Billy O'Connor @ 2004-02-21  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu> writes:

> I was reading in the GNU Emacs Lisp Reference Manual about ways to
> change the Emacs binary.  My .emacs has gotten fairly big, and I
> think it would be nice to put together a new version of emacs that
> incorporates my changes but that doesn't take a long time to load.
> Would
>
> % emacs -batch -f (dump-emacs my-emacs /full/path/to/emacs/)
>
> do this for me?

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/DumpingEmacs

* Re: customizing emacs at compile time (or with dump-emacs?)
       [not found] <200402211702.i1LH2B102501@dell3.ma.utexas.edu>
@ 2004-02-21 18:58 ` Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2004-02-21 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Billy O'Connor

How to debug this?

% demacs /Users/arided/emacs/src/emacs-21.3.50.1
--- List of All Regions ---
   address     size prot maxp
         0   0x1000 none none
Fatal error (11)/Users/arided/bin//demacs: line 5:  7965 Segmentation fault      $MYEMACS --batch --load ~/site-lisp/joes_loads.el --execute "(dump-emacs \"femacs\" \"$MYEMACS\")"

Here is the script I used

#!/bin/sh
MYEMACS=$1

@ 2004-02-22  6:07   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-02-22  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu>
> Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 12:58:40 -0600
>
> How to debug this?

Run Emacs under a debugger and when it gets SIGSEGV, look around to
see what went wrong.  The file etc/DEBUG in the Emacs distro has
several hints on debugging Emacs.

> Here is the script I used
>
> #!/bin/sh
> MYEMACS=$1
> $MYEMACS --batch \
>  --load ~/site-lisp/joes_loads.el \
>  --execute "(dump-emacs \"femacs\" \"$MYEMACS\")"

Replace $MYEMACS with "gdb $MYEMACS --args", that will run Emacs
under GDB.