all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [Fwd: Modes within modes]
@ 2003-11-07 22:20 Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-11-07 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Perhaps indirect buffers ought to have local text properties and overlays...

--
Kevin Rodgers

[-- Attachment #2: Re: Modes within modes --]
[-- Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2144 bytes --]

From: Peter Lee <pete_lee@swbell.net>
Subject: Re: Modes within modes
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 20:52:11 GMT

    Gareth> The simplest way to do this is to use
    Gareth> 'clone-indirect-buffer' (C-x 4 c) and use A-mode in the
    Gareth> original buffer and B-mode in the cloned buffer.  Put the
    Gareth> two buffers in adjacent windows and switch between them
    Gareth> when you want the features of the other mode.  See the
    Gareth> Info node (emacs)Indirect Buffers.

This method seems to partially work.  I can clone an html buffer (in
html mode) and switch to the cloned buffer and issue M-x text-mode.
The modes are correct for each buffer however they seem to share
fontification.

So if I do M-x font-lock-fontify-buffer while in the text-mode buffer
I see the changes in both.  Same if I issue the command in the
html-mode buffer... the text-mode buffer then gets fontified for html.

I'm using cvs, so perhaps it's just my version.  If this is a known
limitation of clone-indirect however, then it wouldn't be as useful a
method for multiple modes (at least for me).

* Re: [Fwd: Modes within modes]
@ 2003-11-09  2:03 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-11-09  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

Kevin Rodgers, could you please email me some way to contact you?  The
email address from which you make your postings always gives me "over
quota".