all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* chinese characters in echo area during input?
@ 2003-11-05 19:18 Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2003-11-05 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I got Emacs set up (most of the way) for typing Chinese, only problem
is that the various different characters associated with a given
pinyin string appear in the echo area as weird ascii and not as
Chinese characters. Any suggestions on how to get characters in the
echo area?

Joe

* Re: chinese characters in echo area during input?
@ 2003-11-05 20:09 ` Dan Anderson
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-11-05 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

To take a stab in the dark, are you using Emacs 21.3 (I think that's the
latest one).  I've heard people say the unicode support is much more
advanced then with 20 or 19.

-Dan

@ 2003-11-05 21:23   ` Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2003-11-05 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

version info: GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin, X toolkit)

Here is another interesting factiod: I saw one character appear in
the echo area (apparently almost randomly) before I got the rest of
the setup set up... so I know it is possible to get them there.
Just don't know how.

       [not found] <mailman.3255.1068059972.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-11-06  2:06 ` Richard
From: Richard @ 2003-11-06  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

What platform are you use? If on Windows, you could change font to
SongTi and try again.

Richard

       [not found] <E1AHiB2-0001tB-E2@monty-python.gnu.org>
@ 2003-11-06 13:56 ` Joe Corneli