all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* global minor modes and Custom groups
@ 2003-04-08  9:35 Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 2003-04-08  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm reminded of something I meant to propose before.

Since most (?) high-level customization is done through global minor
modes, and navigating through all the Custom options can be hard work,
I think there should be a new Custom group with entries generated
automatically for options defined with `define-minor-mode'.  I don't
know what it should best be called, but I think it should appear at
the top of the M-x customize tree.

This is trivial to implement and I think it could be useful if the
number of such options (around 60) isn't too daunting itself.

* Re: global minor modes and Custom groups
@ 2003-04-09  1:59 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-04-09  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    I think there should be a new Custom group with entries generated
    automatically for options defined with `define-minor-mode'.

It sounds like a good idea to me.  (I am about to install code that
makes a list of the minor modes, for other reasons.)  Want to do it?

* Re: global minor modes and Custom groups
@ 2003-04-10 13:23   ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 2003-04-10 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     I think there should be a new Custom group with entries generated
>     automatically for options defined with `define-minor-mode'.
>
> It sounds like a good idea to me.  (I am about to install code that
> makes a list of the minor modes, for other reasons.)  Want to do it?

Is there something better to call the group than `minor-modes', which
may not mean so much to tyros, and how should it appear in the
top-level Custom screen?

* Re: global minor modes and Custom groups
@ 2003-04-11  8:51     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-04-11  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Is there something better to call the group than `minor-modes',

I can't think of a better name off hand.  The term "minor mode"
is defined in the Emacs manual.

    how should it appear in the top-level Custom screen?

How about like every other group?