all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Preserve permissions after backup?
@ 2003-01-26 20:45 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-26 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

A Tramp user is reporting that the permissions of a root-owned file
change after he edits it with Tramp (the su method).  I'm guessing
that's because Tramp does backup by renaming and creates a new file
with default permissions.

Is there some machinery in Emacs which is designed to prevent things
like this from happening?  I guess there must be a bug in Tramp which
prevents this machinery from working.

I investigated the backup-by-copying variables but these don't talk
about the permissions, only the owner and group.

Or is backup-by-copying the right approach and I (and the user) just
need to make sure that it is used for the file(s) in question?
--
Ambibibentists unite!