all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* beep
@ 2002-08-27 12:31 Teemu Pennanen
From: Teemu Pennanen @ 2002-08-27 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Is this a bug in emacs: every now and then when I'm editing a LaTeX file
with emacs and try to make a superscript in math-mode with "^", I get a
beep istead of the character. This problem seems to come out of the blue,
and nothing seems to help. When it happens, I have to restart emacs, and
sometimes even that doesn't work. Could it be that I'm causing it somehow
myself?

I'm running emacs in RedHat Linux 6.2.

Best,
Teemu Pennanen
Helsinki School of Economics

* Re: beep
@ 2002-08-28  6:52 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-08-28  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

It is hard to debug a problem that we can't reproduce.  If you can
find a way to reproduce it, please send another bug report.

Please read the Bugs section in the Emacs manual, which provides
guidelines on how to write a bug report to give us the
necessary information so we can fix the bug.

* Re: beep
@ 2003-01-15 14:24 ` Alfred M. Szmidt
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2003-01-15 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   How do I change or switch off this annoying beep emacs plays for
   nearly everything?

You do it by reading the lovely Emacs manual.

>From (emacs)Display Vars

   If the variable `visible-bell' is non-`nil', Emacs attempts to make
the whole screen blink when it would normally make an audible bell
sound.  This variable has no effect if your terminal does not have a way
to make the screen blink.

* Re: beep
       [not found] <mailman.302.1042639410.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-01-15 14:29 ` Thomas Gehrlein
From: Thomas Gehrlein @ 2003-01-15 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

McClain <McClain@uni.de> writes:

> Hello ppl,
>
> How do I change or switch off this annoying
> beep emacs plays for nearly everything?

Put this in your .emacs:

(setq visible-bell t)

Thomas

@ 2003-01-15 14:54 ` Rafael Villarroel
From: Rafael Villarroel @ 2003-01-15 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

McClain <McClain@uni.de> writes:

> How do I change or switch off this annoying
> beep emacs plays for nearly everything?

put this in your .emacs:

;; blink instead of beep when an error occurs
(setq visible-bell t)

Rafael

* beep
@ 2003-01-15 15:47 McClain
From: McClain @ 2003-01-15 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello ppl,

How do I change or switch off this annoying
beep emacs plays for nearly everything?

thanks in advance...
	...Sebastian

* Re: beep
@ 2003-01-15 19:51   ` Robert Marshall
From: Robert Marshall @ 2003-01-15 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 15 Jan 2003, rvf@hotpop.com wrote:

> McClain <McClain@uni.de> writes:
>
>> How do I change or switch off this annoying
>> beep emacs plays for nearly everything?
>>

> put this in your .emacs:
>
> ;; blink instead of beep when an error occurs
> (setq visible-bell t)

Or alternatively, if you just want it to be less nearly everything

(setq ring-bell-function
      (lambda ()
	(unless (memq this-command
		      '(isearch-abort abort-recursive-edit exit-minibuffer
				      keyboard-quit)) ;; add extra commands here!
	  (ding))))

pinched off a ng somewhere

Take me to the world
A world that smiles