all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* snarf up text when at query-replace from: prompt
@ 2003-01-02 22:55 Dan Jacobson
       [not found] ` <E18UYT9-0004yJ-00@fencepost.gnu.org>
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2003-01-02 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

    ESC % runs the command query-replace
       which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `replace'.
    (query-replace FROM-STRING TO-STRING &optional DELIMITED START END)

    Replace some occurrences of FROM-STRING with TO-STRING.
    As each match is found, the user must type a character saying
    what to do with it.  For directions, type C-h at that time.

I would like to have C-h tell me stuff right when I'm at the From:
string prompt.  To: also.

    In Transient Mark mode, if the mark is active, operate on the contents
    of the region.  Otherwise, operate from point to the end of the buffer.

    If `query-replace-interactive' is non-nil, the last incremental search
    string is used as FROM-STRING--you don't have to specify it with the
    minibuffer.

it would be nice if we could hit something to snarf up words from
point when we are entering the from and to strings.
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780