all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* documentation called for effect
@ 2002-10-18 11:17 Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-10-18 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: John Wiegley

From eshell/esh-util:

> (unless (fboundp 'directory-files-and-attributes)
>   (defun directory-files-and-attributes (dir &optional full match nosort)
>     (documentation 'directory-files)
>     (let ((dir (expand-file-name dir)) ange-cache)
>       (mapcar
>        (function
> 	(lambda (file)
> 	  (cons file (eshell-file-attributes (expand-file-name file dir)))))
>        (directory-files dir full match nosort)))))

I don't think the call to `documentation' is getting the intended effect...

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: documentation called for effect
@ 2002-10-20  5:34 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-10-20  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, johnw

    > (unless (fboundp 'directory-files-and-attributes)
    >   (defun directory-files-and-attributes (dir &optional full match nosort)
    >     (documentation 'directory-files)

It looks like he wanted to copy the doc string of directory-files.
There is no way to do that.

How about if you write a suitable doc string for this function?

* Re: documentation called for effect
@ 2002-10-21  7:03   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2002-10-21  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, johnw

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002 01:34:54 -0400, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> How about if you write a suitable doc string for this function?

I've copied instead the one for `directory-files-and-attributes' from
Emacs 21, because the code is writing a back-compatible replacement for
that precise function.

I've also changed the name of the DIR argument to DIRECTORY so the
docstring can be identical in both versions.

@ 2002-10-22  3:13     ` Richard Stallman