all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* help with double spaces etc.
@ 2002-09-25 17:50 Todd Wylie
From: Todd Wylie @ 2002-09-25 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings-

I would really like to be able to have a mode in emacs that would let the user view text in a different manner than emacs saves the buffer ... almost a "revert on save" ability. For example, I would really like to view text in emacs as double-spaced with auto-fill word-wrapping - but to lose the wrapping and line returns when saved.
Are there any libraries that do something like this? I've never written lisp -- is this a very hard thing to write?

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks-
T.

* Re: help with double spaces etc.
       [not found] <mailman.1032976286.21833.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-09-26  8:27 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-26  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Todd Wylie <twylie@watson.wustl.edu> writes:

> I would really like to be able to have a mode in emacs that would
> let the user view text in a different manner than emacs saves the
> buffer ... almost a "revert on save" ability. For example, I would
> really like to view text in emacs as double-spaced with auto-fill
> word-wrapping - but to lose the wrapping and line returns when
> saved.
> Are there any libraries that do something like this? I've never
> written lisp -- is this a very hard thing to write?

The "format" feature allows this.  See the variable format-alist.

If you have a shell command which double-spaces a file (well, standard
input) and another un-double-spaces it, then you almost need no Lisp
at all.

kai

@ 2002-09-26 15:18 ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2002-09-26 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Todd Wylie <twylie@watson.wustl.edu> writes:

[...]
> I would really like to view text in emacs as double-spaced with
> auto-fill word-wrapping - but to lose the wrapping and line returns
> when saved.  Are there any libraries that do something like this?
[...]

I don't know what you mean by "doubble-spaced", but there is a
library name longlines.el that provides the word-wrapping part. I
think it is on the Emacs Lisp List. Or use Google.

    -- Oliver

--
5 Vendémiaire an 211 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!

@ 2002-09-27  1:21 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2002-09-27  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Todd Wylie <twylie@watson.wustl.edu> writes:

> For example, I would really like to view text in emacs as
> double-spaced with auto-fill word-wrapping - but to lose the wrapping
> and line returns when saved.

For the double-spacing part you can use the variable `line-spacing',

,----[ C-h v line-spacing RET ]
| line-spacing's value is nil
|
| Documentation:
| Additional space to put between lines when displaying a buffer.
| The space is measured in pixels, and put below lines on window systems.
`----

This only changes the display, not the file itself.