all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs 21.2 uses ld instead of gcc for linking
@ 2002-04-11 18:31 Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-04-11 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using gcc 3.0.4, binutils 2.12, and RedHat's glibc 2.2.4-19.3.

Emacs 21.2's build process uses ld for linking in some cases and gcc
for others.  This limits the usefulness of user-specified LDFLAGS: ld
does not understand -Wl, options, and gcc does not understand most ld
options.

There are also some things that ld does wrong when invoked directly
instead of via gcc: my gcc is installed with its own unusual prefix,
so ld cannot find libgcc unless I specify the path with -L in LDFLAGS.

ld also seems to use the wrong path for the dynamic linker; the
symptom was:
LC_ALL=C ./temacs -batch -l loadup dump
/bin/sh: ./temacs: No such file or directory
temacs did exist, but the dynamic linker path compiled into it was
/usr/lib/libc.so.1, which does not exist on my system.  I had to
create it as a symlink to /lib/ld-linux.so.2.

It seems to me gcc should be used for linking in all cases.

paul