all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Using tramp from Cygwin Emacs
@ 2009-11-05  0:36 KARR, DAVID (ATTCINW)
From: KARR, DAVID (ATTCINW) @ 2009-11-05  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I'm attempting to get tramp working from my Cygwin Emacs (23.0.92) to a
Unix box.  I've looked at various hints for this, but I still can't get
it working.

I have no trouble connecting to the box using putty.  I set my
"tramp-default-method" to "pscp", as suggested in at least one place.
When I pressed Enter on the "/host:path" value, it hung essentially
forever.  I looked at running processes, and I saw it trying to run
"plink", which was hanging.  I tried running that command line directly
from the shell, and after giving me the "login as" and "Password"
prompts, it printed the system welcome messages and then said "Access
denied" twice and redisplayed the password prompt.

Any ideas how to get this working?

* Re: Using tramp from Cygwin Emacs
@ 2009-11-05 11:28 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2009-11-05 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: KARR, DAVID (ATTCINW); +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

KARR, DAVID (ATTCINW) wrote:
> I'm attempting to get tramp working from my Cygwin Emacs (23.0.92) to a
> Unix box.  I've looked at various hints for this, but I still can't get
> it working.
>
> I have no trouble connecting to the box using putty.  I set my
> "tramp-default-method" to "pscp", as suggested in at least one place.
> When I pressed Enter on the "/host:path" value, it hung essentially
> forever.  I looked at running processes, and I saw it trying to run
> "plink", which was hanging.  I tried running that command line directly
> from the shell, and after giving me the "login as" and "Password"
> prompts, it printed the system welcome messages and then said "Access
> denied" twice and redisplayed the password prompt.
>
> Any ideas how to get this working?

See the Tramp manual. Tramp and Cygwin Emacs do not cooperate well. You
might have more luck with the native GNU Emacs on MS Windows.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Using tramp from Cygwin Emacs
@ 2009-11-05 19:00   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-11-05 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 12:28:33 +0100
> From: Michael Albinus <michael.rd.albinus@googlemail.com>
> Cc: Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Tramp and Cygwin Emacs do not cooperate well. You
> might have more luck with the native GNU Emacs on MS Windows.

Or, alternatively, with the Cygwin Emacs and Cygwin ssh.

* RE: Using tramp from Cygwin Emacs
@ 2009-11-05 19:13     ` KARR, DAVID (ATTCINW)
From: KARR, DAVID (ATTCINW) @ 2009-11-05 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii, Help-gnu-emacs

I believe I've tried using the Cygwin ssh, but I appear to get the same
result, even bypassing tramp.  I tried just using "eshell" and doing
"ssh <thehostname>" (and I'm sure that this is using Cygwin's openssh
package).  After entering the password, it just redisplayed the password
prompt.  I'm using the same credentials that are working fine with
"putty".  It seems like this isn't an Emacs problem, or even a Cygwin
problem (I can repeat the same symptom just using Putty's Plink), but
perhaps something about the configuration of the SSH server.  I don't
know enough about it to be sure, but my testing seems to point to that.

* Re: Using tramp from Cygwin Emacs
@ 2009-11-05 19:24       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-11-05 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 11:13:26 -0800
> From: "KARR, DAVID (ATTCINW)" <dk068x@att.com>
>
> It seems like this isn't an Emacs problem, or even a Cygwin problem

Yes, it certainly looks like that.

* Re: Using tramp from Cygwin Emacs
@ 2009-11-05 21:23       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2009-11-05 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"KARR, DAVID (ATTCINW)" <dk068x@att.com> writes:

> I believe I've tried using the Cygwin ssh, but I appear to get the same
> result, even bypassing tramp.  I tried just using "eshell" and doing
> "ssh <thehostname>" (and I'm sure that this is using Cygwin's openssh
> package).  After entering the password, it just redisplayed the password
> prompt.  I'm using the same credentials that are working fine with
> "putty".  It seems like this isn't an Emacs problem, or even a Cygwin
> problem (I can repeat the same symptom just using Putty's Plink), but
> perhaps something about the configuration of the SSH server.  I don't
> know enough about it to be sure, but my testing seems to point to that.

You might use the ssh with -vv and see something informative.  I've
had problems where the remote shell login hands out stuff ssh does not
like.  And might even cause it to fail. Its a slim chance for sure but
might give a clue of somekind.

* RE: Using tramp from Cygwin Emacs
@ 2009-11-05 23:02         ` KARR, DAVID (ATTCINW)
From: KARR, DAVID (ATTCINW) @ 2009-11-05 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Harry Putnam, help-gnu-emacs

Well, this didn't directly help, but it made me think about this a
little more, and let me to a clue.  The login name I need to use on the
remote box is different from my local principal.  I thought I was
configuring it correctly to use that different principal, but apparently
not.  When I tried manually specifying that principal on the tramp path,
it worked fine.

So, in order to make it use that different principal automatically, I
had created $HOME/.ssh/config and chmoded 0700 on the "config" file.
The contents of the file looked like this:

Host <hostname>
HostName <hostname>
User <principaltouse>

I also set "tramp-default-method" to "ssh".

I also used "tramp-set-completion-function", using the example in the
info to make it parse my $HOME/.ssh/config file, so the resulting value
of "tramp-completion-function-alist" is:

(("ssh"
  (tramp-parse-sconfig "~/.ssh/config"))
 ("plinkx"
  (tramp-parse-putty
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\SimonTatham\\PuTTY\\Sessions"))
 ("sudo"
  (tramp-parse-passwd "/etc/passwd"))
 ("su"
  (tramp-parse-passwd "/etc/passwd"))
 ("telnet"
  (tramp-parse-hosts "/etc/hosts"))
 ("ftp"
  (tramp-parse-netrc "~/.netrc")))

So, for some reason, if I don't manually specify the principal to use,
it's not getting the user to use from my ".ssh/config" file.

* Re: Using tramp from Cygwin Emacs
@ 2009-11-05 23:54           ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2009-11-05 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"KARR, DAVID (ATTCINW)" <dk068x@att.com> writes:

[...]

>> You might use the ssh with -vv and see something informative.  I've
>> had problems where the remote shell login hands out stuff ssh does not
>> like.  And might even cause it to fail. Its a slim chance for sure but
>> might give a clue of somekind.
>
> Well, this didn't directly help, but it made me think about this a
> little more, and let me to a clue.  The login name I need to use on the
> remote box is different from my local principal.  I thought I was
> configuring it correctly to use that different principal, but apparently
> not.  When I tried manually specifying that principal on the tramp path,
> it worked fine.
>
> So, in order to make it use that different principal automatically, I
> had created $HOME/.ssh/config and chmoded 0700 on the "config" file.
> The contents of the file looked like this:
>
> Host <hostname>
> HostName <hostname>
> User <principaltouse>
>
> I also set "tramp-default-method" to "ssh".
>
> I also used "tramp-set-completion-function", using the example in the
> info to make it parse my $HOME/.ssh/config file, so the resulting value

[...]

> So, for some reason, if I don't manually specify the principal to use,
> it's not getting the user to use from my ".ssh/config" file.

You never said what OS this is taking place on, but I guess a windows
of some sort?  If so, the OS may have a different idea of $HOME than
does cygwin.

Have you set the HOME variable on windows?  On Cygwin?

I guess you could try a windows command shell and type `echo %home%'
and a cygwin bash shell and type `echo $HOME' to see if they match.

(If you don't know how to set it on windows ask back to this thread.)

* RE: Using tramp from Cygwin Emacs
@ 2009-11-06  0:02             ` KARR, DAVID (ATTCINW)
From: KARR, DAVID (ATTCINW) @ 2009-11-06  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Harry Putnam, help-gnu-emacs

Cygwin runs on something besides Windows?  I didn't bother to mention it
because I thought it was obvious.

I'm putting the .ssh directory in my Cygwin $HOME.  The Windows %HOME%
does not match this, but that shouldn't matter.

* Re: Using tramp from Cygwin Emacs
@ 2009-11-06  3:17               ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2009-11-06  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"KARR, DAVID (ATTCINW)" <dk068x@att.com> writes:

>> You never said what OS this is taking place on, but I guess a windows
>> of some sort?  If so, the OS may have a different idea of $HOME than
>> does cygwin.
>>
>> Have you set the HOME variable on windows?  On Cygwin?
>>
>> I guess you could try a windows command shell and type `echo %home%'
>> and a cygwin bash shell and type `echo $HOME' to see if they match.
>>
>> (If you don't know how to set it on windows ask back to this thread.)
>
> Cygwin runs on something besides Windows?  I didn't bother to mention it
> because I thought it was obvious.

I just assumed it ran on macs too but now you mention it, I don't
think I've every noticed any mention of that.

> I'm putting the .ssh directory in my Cygwin $HOME.  The Windows %HOME%
> does not match this, but that shouldn't matter.

You're right with cygwin emacs, but someone mentioned you might want
to use Native emacs-23, in which case it is likely to be a problem. or
at least I recall having trouble with ssh for that reason.