all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* startup with dired
@ 2006-01-26  0:52 Ryan Moszynski
From: Ryan Moszynski @ 2006-01-26  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

is there something I can put in my .emacs file to make emacs startup
in dired mode at a certain directory?

for instance, when i start emacs, i want it to automatically be in
dired mode at /home/ryan/code

thanks
ryan

* Re: startup with dired
@ 2006-01-26  0:59 ` Edward O'Connor
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2006-01-26  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> is there something I can put in my .emacs file to make emacs startup
> in dired mode at a certain directory?
>
> for instance, when i start emacs, i want it to automatically be in
> dired mode at /home/ryan/code

(dired "/home/ryan/code") at the end of .emacs should do the trick.

Ted

--
Edward O'Connor
hober0@gmail.com

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

* Re: startup with dired
       [not found] <mailman.147.1138236957.2878.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-01-26  1:25 ` Zhang Wei
From: Zhang Wei @ 2006-01-26  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ryan Moszynski <ryan.m.lists@gmail.com> writes:

> is there something I can put in my .emacs file to make emacs startup
> in dired mode at a certain directory?
>
> for instance, when i start emacs, i want it to automatically be in
> dired mode at /home/ryan/code

(setq inhibit-startup-message t)
(dired "/home/ryan/code")

--
Zhang Wei or Brep
<brep@smth.org>

* RE: startup with dired
@ 2006-01-26 16:32   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-01-26 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

    is there something I can put in my .emacs file to make emacs startup
    in dired mode at a certain directory? for instance, when i start emacs,
    i want it to automatically be in dired mode at /home/ryan/code

Why not just pass the directory as an argument to `runemacs'?  For example:

  runemacs.exe  "/home/ryan/code"

This doesn't require that you change your .emacs.