all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problem loading icicles.el after my .emacs is loaded
@ 2007-05-22 12:01 Nordlöw
From: Nordlöw @ 2007-05-22 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hey, there.

icicles seems to be a marvellous emacs-must-have and works very nicely
for me when I load it without first loading my .emacs. But when I do
load my .emacs first it fails and spits out this single error message
that I cannot relate to any of my previous emacs lisp knowledge:

load-with-code-conversion: Symbol's value as variable is void: Obsolete
\.

I have googled it but I could not find any pages related to my
problem.

I have also searched for the string "Obselete" in the emacs cvs
sources and in my own .emacs, extensions and configurations without
getting any hits.

What am I doing wrong? How can I trace the problem? I would really
like to get icicles working with my other emacs add-ons.

Thanks in advance,
Nordlöw

* RE: Problem loading icicles.el after my .emacs is loaded
@ 2007-05-22 13:24 ` Drew Adams
       [not found]   ` <mailman.997.1179850410.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-05-22 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nordlöw, help-gnu-emacs

> icicles seems to be a marvellous emacs-must-have and works very nicely
> for me when I load it without first loading my .emacs. But when I do
> load my .emacs first it fails and spits out this single error message
> that I cannot relate to any of my previous emacs lisp knowledge:
>
> load-with-code-conversion: Symbol's value as variable is void: Obsolete
> \.
>
> I have googled it but I could not find any pages related to my
> problem. I have also searched for the string "Obselete" in the emacs cvs
> sources and in my own .emacs, extensions and configurations without
> getting any hits.
>
> What am I doing wrong? How can I trace the problem? I would really
> like to get icicles working with my other emacs add-ons.

I unfortunately know nothing about `load-with-code-conversion' (so far).
Perhaps someone else will be able to offer a suggestion regarding the error
message.

The first step for something like this is generally to try to find out
exactly which part of your .emacs provokes the error. To do that, use a
binary search: Comment out half of the .emacs to find which half is
problematic, then comment half of that half, and so on. Binary search is
extremely quick - in a few iterations you will have at least located what,
in combination with Icicles, is provoking the error.

Also, please always report which version of Emacs you are using. The more
info you provide (platform/OS, Icicles update #, phase of the moon...), the
better.

* Problem loading icicles.el
@ 2007-05-22 13:33 ` Neal Becker
From: Neal Becker @ 2007-05-22 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm trying to use icicles.el with emacs-23.0.0.1, but I get:
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function hexrgb-color-values-to-hex)
  (hexrgb-color-values-to-hex (x-color-values color))
  (setq color (hexrgb-color-values-to-hex (x-color-values color)))
  (if (string-match "#" color) nil (setq color (hexrgb-color-values-to-hex ...)))
  (unless (string-match "#" color) (setq color (hexrgb-color-values-to-hex ...)))
  icicle-increment-color-hue("misty rose" 80)
  (icicle-increment-color-saturation (icicle-increment-color-hue context-bg 80) 10)
  (list (quote :background) (icicle-increment-color-saturation (icicle-increment-color-hue context-bg 80) 10))
  (list (quote (...)) (list (quote :background) (icicle-increment-color-saturation ... 10)))
  (list (list (quote ...) (list ... ...)) (list t (list ... ...)))
  (\` ((... ...) (t ...)))
  (let ((context-bg ...)) (\` (... ...)))
  (custom-declare-face (quote icicle-search-context-level-1) (let (...) (\` ...)) "*Face used to highlight level (subgroup match) 1 of your search context.\nThis highlighting is done during Icicles searching whenever\n`icicle-search-highlight-context-levels-flag' is non-nil and the\nsearch context corresponds to the entire regexp." :group (quote Icicles-Searching) :group (quote faces))
  (defface icicle-search-context-level-1 (let (...) (\` ...)) "*Face used to highlight level (subgroup match) 1 of your search context.\nThis highlighting is done during Icicles searching whenever\n`icicle-search-highlight-context-levels-flag' is non-nil and the\nsearch context corresponds to the entire regexp." :group (quote Icicles-Searching) :group (quote faces))
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*<2>> nil "/home/nbecker/emacs/icicles-face.el" nil t)  ; Reading at buffer position 16876
  load-with-code-conversion("/home/nbecker/emacs/icicles-face.el" "/home/nbecker/emacs/icicles-face.el" nil t)
  require(icicles-face)
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "/home/nbecker/emacs/icicles.el" nil t)  ; Reading at buffer position 462474
  load-with-code-conversion("/home/nbecker/emacs/icicles.el" "/home/nbecker/emacs/icicles.el" nil nil)
  load("icicles")
  load-library("icicles")
  call-interactively(load-library)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command)

* RE: Problem loading icicles.el
@ 2007-05-22 14:21   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-05-22 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neal Becker, help-gnu-emacs

> I'm trying to use icicles.el with emacs-23.0.0.1, but I get:
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function hexrgb-color-values-to-hex)

If you load library hexrgb.el, there will be no problem. Defining colors
incrementally requires hexrgb.el.

Icicles should also work if you don't have hexrgb.el loaded. I'll fix this
right away. Sorry for the inconvenience.

* RE: Problem loading icicles.el
@ 2007-05-22 14:36     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-05-22 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neal Becker, help-gnu-emacs

> > I'm trying to use icicles.el with emacs-23.0.0.1, but I get:
> > Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function hexrgb-color-values-to-hex)
>
> If you load library hexrgb.el, there will be no problem. Defining colors
> incrementally requires hexrgb.el.
>
> Icicles should also work if you don't have hexrgb.el loaded. I'll fix this
> right away. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Should be fixed now, to tolerate a missing hexrgb.el.
Please download the latest `icicles-face.el'. Thx.

* Re: Problem loading icicles.el after my .emacs is loaded
@ 2007-05-22 16:13   ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <mailman.997.1179850410.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-05-22 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 06:24:04 -0700
>
> > load-with-code-conversion: Symbol's value as variable is void: Obsolete
> > \.
> [...]
> I unfortunately know nothing about `load-with-code-conversion' (so far).

It's a function defined on mule.el.  It is called (through
`load-source-file-function') by `load' when a *.el file is being
loaded.

> Perhaps someone else will be able to offer a suggestion regarding the error
> message.

The message is quite clear, but its reason is not.  Perhaps setting
debug-on-error non-nil will show some useful backtrace.

@ 2007-05-22 22:09     ` Nordlöw
From: Nordlöw @ 2007-05-22 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I solved it. My fault. I thought "Obsolete" was spelled "Obselete".
That's why my grep did not find the file causing the problem. A grep
falling back to fuzzy/partial match would have discovered my
mistake...

I had an obselete emacs lisp file in my load path called pp+.el that
contained a line

Obsolete. Replaced by `+.el'.

and that icicles (optionally?) used. I removed the file and icicles
now works brilliantly!

Thanks Drew Adams!

@ 2007-05-22 22:53       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-05-22 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nordlöw, help-gnu-emacs

> I had an obselete emacs lisp file in my load path called pp+.el that
> contained a line
>
> Obsolete. Replaced by `+.el'.

That's odd.  pp+.el on Emacs Wiki is a library I wrote, but it does not
contain any such text.  pp+.el just contains some minor enhancements to
standard library pp.el.

Icicles does do a soft require of pp+.el, that is, (require 'pp+ nil t), so
that you can pick up its version of `pp-eval-expression' if you happen to
have it. There is no problem or error if you don't have pp+.el.

> and that icicles (optionally?) used.

Yes; pp+.el is optional.

> I removed the file and icicles now works brilliantly!

It should also work with pp+.el. It sounds like your pp+.el file was not the
same - http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/pp%2b.el.

Glad to hear you fixed your problem - that's the main thing.