I also get a long list with latin key characters that are bound to encoded-kbd-self-insert-ccl. I do not see that when I try it. As a novice user when trying out the describe-bindings function, I would see that there is a lot of uninteresting technical stuff at the beginning Could you show me specifically what this "uninteresting technical stuff" consists of? Attached is a screenshot showing the (beginning of the) encoded-kbd-self-insert-ccl stuff, which is, I think, the "uninteresting technical stuff" David referred to. There are 122 lines of such bindings listed at the beginning of the `describe-bindings' *Help* buffer. This is from a July CVS snapshot. Perhaps this has been fixed - I don't know what version David sees it in.