all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* RE: char-width of a font? pixel-width of a future frame? NOT SOLVED
@ 2005-05-30 10:09 David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2005-05-30 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> How do I find out either
>
>     - what the (average) width of characters of a given font/
> fontset is? or
>
> `frame-char-width' or height gives the pixel width or height of the
> frame's
> default font.

Yes, but they only work with an existing frame as parameter.
I only have a font/fontset or some frame-parameters, but not a frame.

>     - what, given a set of frame-parameters (including font and
> width and
>     height), what the pixel-width and pixel-height of a frame are
> going
>     to be once it is created?
>
> If the frame is to fit the buffer (you mentioned font size), then
> you need
> to calculate the line length and number of lines, then multiply
> these by the
> frame-char-width and frame-char-height. You can see code that
> calculates
> frame size from buffer size here:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/elisp/fit-frame.el.

I need to know what width a frame is going to have in pixels, before
it is created. Frames are not fitted by default, and I'm not trying
to fit frames. I'm just trying to determine a decent position to open
the frame at.

That's why I was asking for frame-char-width for a given font, to
calculate the pixel-width.

 > Otherwise, what do you mean by the frame size - it could be
anything you
 > want. What is the relation between the frame parameters you
mention and the
 > frame size you want?

Frames are created with whatever is set in the width / height
specification of the default-frame-alist (or whatever is given to
make-frame). These specifications are in characters / lines, not
pixels. I just need to translate to pixels.

Anyone??

- D