all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* `global-set-key' doesn't work in my console
@ 2008-01-07  8:03 Forrest
From: Forrest @ 2008-01-07  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

`global-set-key' doesn't work in my console.

i have definitions below in my ~/.emacs:

global-set-key (kbd "C-,")
        '(lambda () "scroll the page down" (interactive) (scroll-down 1)))

(defun up-slightly () (interactive) (scroll-up 1))
(global-set-key [(control .)]          'up-slightly)

then i went to console, launched emacs, opened a file, i can use the
"default" key-bindings like C-x C-c, but when i press C-, or C-. , nothing
happened, they work well in X window, how can i get it work in console?

Thanks a lot!
Forrest

%%
GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.20)
Debian Etch
%%

--
Stupid is as stupid does.

* Re: `global-set-key' doesn't work in my console
@ 2008-01-07  9:51 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-01-07  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Forrest; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 07.01.2008 um 09:03 schrieb Forrest:

> global-set-key (kbd "C-,")
>         '(lambda () "scroll the page down" (interactive) (scroll-
> down 1)))

The console and other terminal emulations can only produce "key
events" in the ASCII or extended ASCII range, i.e. 8 bit characters
(man ascii). Therefore not every time you hold down the control
"modifier" key and press some other key something with a meaning is
produced. It's like when you're scribbling on paper: not every
"picture" is a letter or a digit or worth an exhibition at MOMA ...
C-, can work X which has its own concept of events that are
abstracted from ASCII codes.

--
Greetings

   Pete

November, n.:
         The eleventh twelfth of a weariness.
                 – Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

* RE: `global-set-key' doesn't work in my console
@ 2008-01-07 15:40 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-01-07 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Forrest, help-gnu-emacs

> `global-set-key' doesn't work in my console.
> i have definitions below in my ~/.emacs:
>
> global-set-key (kbd "C-,")
>         '(lambda () "scroll the page down" (interactive) (scroll-down 1)))
> (defun up-slightly () (interactive) (scroll-up 1))
> (global-set-key [(control .)]          'up-slightly)
>
> then i went to console, launched emacs, opened a file, i can use the
> "default" key-bindings like C-x C-c, but when i press C-, or C-. ,
> nothing happened, they work well in X window, how can i get it work
> in console?

I believe the problem is that those particular keys (e.g. C-,) are not
available using a console.

* Re: `global-set-key' doesn't work in my console
@ 2008-01-08 16:32 Forrest
From: Forrest @ 2008-01-08 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Mike Mattie writes:

> > try a space like this:
> > (kbd "C-c ,")
>
> Have you tried this? It won't work.

i tried, it worked

> > If that fixes it try using a function I previously posted that
eliminates
> > the errors from the process of defining keys.
>
> If it were so simple don't you think Emacs would do this?
>
> > (defun insert-key-notation ()
> > "inject a complete \(kbd \"sequence\"\) with key notation for a key
sequence given by prompt"
> > (interactive)
> > (insert "(kbd \"")
> > (insert (format-kbd-macro (read-key-sequence "Key? " nil t)))
> > (insert "\")"))
> >
> > it will define the kbd sexp for you after it prompts you for the key
sequence.

> It looks like the reason that it doesn't work has already been explained
but
> Forrest has decided not to accept the answer (or perhaps there is a
> communication problem)...

that's what you think, not what i think

> > > C-x C-c work well in console, so i guess there must be something
> > > wrong with my key-binding settings. and also, emacs was designed in
> > > ages when X was not popular, it's unreasonable that custom
> > > key-binding doesn't work
>
> Do "man ascii". This is 128 character set and 96, or thereabout, are
printing
> characters. If there were a control character counterpart for each one
that
> would result in 192 character set. Presumably control characters only
exist
> for C-@ to C-_ (0 to 32, @ to _ being 64 to 96).

thank you for your patience, however, do you mean that only printing
characters and C-@ to C-_ can be processed by emacs?
then what if you press F1~F12? and Home, End, Del, Ins? and Left, Right, Up,
Down?

96 + (96 - 64) = 128  i hope i had understood you

> > > i'm a newbie, could you give me any detailed clue to solve it?
>
> On a normal console, I don't think you can.
>
> --
> Nick http://www.inet.net.nz/~nickrob

Forrest

--

@ 2008-01-08 19:31 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-01-08 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Forrest; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 08.01.2008 um 17:32 schrieb Forrest:

> thank you for your patience, however, do you mean that only printing
> characters and C-@ to C-_ can be processed by emacs?

Please don't mix up GNU Emacs and your console!

> then what if you press F1~F12? and Home, End, Del, Ins? and Left,
> Right, Up,
> Down?

These keys are not producing Control-anything events. Simple proof: C-
q <your key press>.

--
Greetings

   Pete

There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence.
				- Jeremy S. Anderson

* Re: `global-set-key' doesn't work in my console
@ 2008-01-09  9:48   ` Forrest
From: Forrest @ 2008-01-09  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 9, 2008 3:31 AM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

> Am 08.01.2008 um 17:32 schrieb Forrest:
>

> > thank you for your patience, however, do you mean that only printing
> > characters and C-@ to C-_ can be processed by emacs?
>
> Please don't mix up GNU Emacs and your console!
>

> > then what if you press F1~F12? and Home, End, Del, Ins? and Left,
> > Right, Up,
> > Down?
>
> These keys are not producing Control-anything events. Simple proof: C-
> q <your key press>.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
> Pete
>
> There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
> We don't believe this to be a coincidence.
> - Jeremy S. Anderson

i wrote a program which invokes `getchar()' at startup, then i press `C-,',
nothing happened, while `C-[a~z]' seem ok.
so i think the terminal doesn't pass all of the C-<KeyPress> combinations to
the program, i don't know which ones are chosen, but obviousely `C-,' and
`C-.' are not
i tried to figure out why, then i googled much but got little helpful, it
seems that `terminfo' is the point but i cannot understand what it is, the
output of 'infocmp' is a mess for me :(

i have changed the scrolling key-bindings to `M-n' and `M-p' and they work
good in the console

--

@ 2008-01-10 12:51     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-01-10 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Forrest; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 09.01.2008 um 10:48 schrieb Forrest:

> i tried to figure out why, then i googled much but got little
> helpful, it
> seems that `terminfo' is the point but i cannot understand what it
> is, the
> output of 'infocmp' is a mess for me :(

It's not that. It's ASCII:

	C-@ -> \000 or NUL
	C-a -> \001
	C-b -> \002
	C-z -> \032
	C-[ -> \033
	C-\ -> \034
	C-] -> \035
	C-^ -> \036
	C-_ -> \037
	SPC -> \040

This has nothing to do with terminfo. The latter is for drawing and
moving the cursor on an alpha-numeric text screen.

--
Greetings

   Pete

It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the
impurities in our air and water that are doing it.

* Re: `global-set-key' doesn't work in my console
@ 2008-01-10 16:37       ` Forrest Y. Yu
From: Forrest Y. Yu @ 2008-01-10 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs