all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Two questions about icicles
@ 2007-11-02  7:44 Seweryn Kokot
From: Seweryn Kokot @ 2007-11-02  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'm trying to start using icicles and these are two things which bother
me

1. when I type C-h f char S-TAB M-* delete
I can find functions which contain "char" and "delete" in them, however
if I start to type C-h f delete S-TAB then I get that there are no
completions. Any idea what's wrong?

2. how to swap keys TAB and S-TAB in icicles-mode? I mean if I use S-TAB
more frequently than TAB then why not make life easier.  It's not simple
since S-TAB means 'icicle-complete-keys' and 'icicle-apropos-complete'
depending on context. It would be nice to have a snippet of code to yank
it into .emacs file.

regards,
--
Seweryn Kokot

* RE: Two questions about icicles
@ 2007-11-02 14:49 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-11-02 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Seweryn Kokot, help-gnu-emacs

> I'm trying to start using icicles and these are two things which bother
> me
>
> 1. when I type C-h f char S-TAB M-* delete
> I can find functions which contain "char" and "delete" in them, however
> if I start to type C-h f delete S-TAB then I get that there are no
> completions. Any idea what's wrong?

No idea. It works for me.

Please use `M-x icicle-send-bug-report', providing a step-by-step recipe to
reproduce the problem, starting with "emacs -Q" (to inhibit loading init
files). Let me know what Emacs version you use, and please use the latest
Icicles files.

> 2. how to swap keys TAB and S-TAB in icicles-mode? I mean if I use S-TAB
> more frequently than TAB then why not make life easier.  It's not simple
> since S-TAB means 'icicle-complete-keys' and 'icicle-apropos-complete'
> depending on context. It would be nice to have a snippet of code to yank
> it into .emacs file.

See
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles_-_Customizing_Key_Bindings.

I'm afraid that the key used for key completion is hard-coded to `S-TAB', so
far. I'll think about making that easier to change. For now, you can change
it in the code (file icicle-mode.el):

(defun icicle-bind-S-TAB-in-keymaps-from (map)
  "Bind `S-TAB' to `icicle-complete-keys' in keymaps accessible from MAP."
  (dolist (key+map (accessible-keymaps map))
    (let ((map (cdr key+map)))
      (when (and (keymapp map)  ; Try to exclude menu maps.
            (not (stringp (car-safe (last map)))))
        (unless (lookup-key map [S-tab])
          (condition-case nil
              (define-key map [S-tab] 'icicle-complete-keys)
            (error nil)))
        (unless (lookup-key map [S-iso-lefttab])
          (condition-case nil
              (define-key map [S-iso-lefttab] 'icicle-complete-keys)
            (error nil)))))))

Change [S-tab] to [(control ?i)] - that's TAB. You can either leave the rest
as is or remove the last `unless' sexp - it is needed only because some
keyboards use a different Shift TAB key.

HTH - Drew

* Re: Two questions about icicles
@ 2007-11-02 16:18   ` Seweryn Kokot
From: Seweryn Kokot @ 2007-11-02 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> I'm trying to start using icicles and these are two things which bother
>> me
>>
>> 1. when I type C-h f char S-TAB M-* delete
>> I can find functions which contain "char" and "delete" in them, however
>> if I start to type C-h f delete S-TAB then I get that there are no
>> completions. Any idea what's wrong?
>
> No idea. It works for me.
>
> Please use `M-x icicle-send-bug-report', providing a step-by-step recipe to
> reproduce the problem, starting with "emacs -Q" (to inhibit loading init
> files). Let me know what Emacs version you use, and please use the latest
> Icicles files.

I installed icicles with get_icicles.sh script.

1.
emacs -Q -l .emacs_test

where .emacs_test file is:
(setq load-path (append (list "~/elisp/icicles") load-path))
(require 'icicles)
(icy-mode 1)

2. "C-h f char S-TAB" gives no completion,
while typing "C-h f delete S-TAB" gives completion
list where there are functions containing "char" substring.

I use emacs22 in Debian
GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of
2007-08-22 on raven, modified by Debian

and latest icicles files.

>> 2. how to swap keys TAB and S-TAB in icicles-mode? I mean if I use S-TAB
>> more frequently than TAB then why not make life easier.  It's not simple
>> since S-TAB means 'icicle-complete-keys' and 'icicle-apropos-complete'
>> depending on context. It would be nice to have a snippet of code to yank
>> it into .emacs file.
>
> See
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles_-_Customizing_Key_Bindings.
>
> I'm afraid that the key used for key completion is hard-coded to `S-TAB', so
> far. I'll think about making that easier to change. For now, you can change
> it in the code (file icicle-mode.el):
>
> (defun icicle-bind-S-TAB-in-keymaps-from (map)
>   "Bind `S-TAB' to `icicle-complete-keys' in keymaps accessible from MAP."
>   (dolist (key+map (accessible-keymaps map))
>     (let ((map (cdr key+map)))
>       (when (and (keymapp map)  ; Try to exclude menu maps.
>             (not (stringp (car-safe (last map)))))
>         (unless (lookup-key map [S-tab])
>           (condition-case nil
>               (define-key map [S-tab] 'icicle-complete-keys)
>             (error nil)))
>         (unless (lookup-key map [S-iso-lefttab])
>           (condition-case nil
>               (define-key map [S-iso-lefttab] 'icicle-complete-keys)
>             (error nil)))))))
>
> Change [S-tab] to [(control ?i)] - that's TAB. You can either leave the rest
> as is or remove the last `unless' sexp - it is needed only because some
> keyboards use a different Shift TAB key.
>
> HTH - Drews

thanks for this elisp code, I'll try it.

--

@ 2007-11-02 16:31     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-11-02 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Seweryn Kokot, help-gnu-emacs

> >> I'm trying to start using icicles and these are two things which bother
> >> me
> >>
> >> 1. when I type C-h f char S-TAB M-* delete
> >> I can find functions which contain "char" and "delete" in them, however
> >> if I start to type C-h f delete S-TAB then I get that there are no
> >> completions. Any idea what's wrong?
> >
> > No idea. It works for me.
> >
> > Please use `M-x icicle-send-bug-report', providing a
> > step-by-step recipe to reproduce the problem, starting with
> > "emacs -Q" (to inhibit loading init files). Let me know what
> > Emacs version you use, and please use the latest Icicles files.
>
> I installed icicles with get_icicles.sh script.
>
> 1.
> emacs -Q -l .emacs_test
>
> where .emacs_test file is:
> (setq load-path (append (list "~/elisp/icicles") load-path))
> (require 'icicles)
> (icy-mode 1)
>
> 2. "C-h f char S-TAB" gives no completion,
> while typing "C-h f delete S-TAB" gives completion
> list where there are functions containing "char" substring.

That's the opposite of what you said at first, BTW: no matches for `delete',
but matches for `char'. But both should work, in any case.

> I use emacs22 in Debian
> GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of
> 2007-08-22 on raven, modified by Debian
> and latest icicles files.

Let's take the debugging off list - I'll send you a separate mail.