all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* In eshell, how to translate aliases that "eval" output from scripts
@ 2024-08-10 21:16 KARR, DAVID
From: KARR, DAVID @ 2024-08-10 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

In my bash config, I have aliases whose value is like ". scriptname".  These execute "scriptname", which is in the path, the output of which are "export" and other shell commands.  This is a way of having a shell command implicitly set environment variables that are used by later command invocations.  What's the proper way to translate this to eshell?

* Re: In eshell, how to translate aliases that "eval" output from scripts
@ 2024-08-10 22:26 ` tpeplt
From: tpeplt @ 2024-08-10 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KARR, DAVID; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

"KARR, DAVID" <dk068x@att.com> writes:

> In my bash config, I have aliases whose value is like ". scriptname".
> These execute "scriptname", which is in the path, the output of which
> are "export" and other shell commands.  This is a way of having a
> shell command implicitly set environment variables that are used by
> later command invocations.  What's the proper way to translate this to
> eshell?

See:
     (info "(eshell) Built-ins")

and
     (info "(eshell) Aliases")

- Geoffrey Chaucer, The Parliament of Birds.

* RE: In eshell, how to translate aliases that "eval" output from scripts
@ 2024-08-11  6:53   ` KARR, DAVID
From: KARR, DAVID @ 2024-08-11  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
Yes, I saw the part about defining aliases.  That is the trivial part of this question.

"KARR, DAVID" <dk068x@ att. com> writes: > In my bash config, I have aliases whose value is like ". scriptname". > These execute "scriptname", which is in the path, the output of which > are "export" and other shell commands. This

@ 2024-08-11 11:31 ` Joel Reicher
From: Joel Reicher @ 2024-08-11 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KARR, DAVID; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

"KARR, DAVID" <dk068x@att.com> writes:

> In my bash config, I have aliases whose value is like
> ". scriptname".  These execute "scriptname", which is in the
> path, the output of which are "export" and other shell commands.
> This is a way of having a shell command implicitly set
> environment variables that are used by later command
> invocations.  What's the proper way to translate this to eshell?

If I've understood you correctly, you will need to re-implement
the scripts/aliases in lisp.

I think you are saying your scripts are sourced rather than
executed as child processes, and mutate the shell's environment
(by setting environment variables).

Eshell is a lisp environment, and a subprocess can't mutate it for
the same reason a subprocess can't mutate a bash environment, so
you will need to be calling lisp functions from it to achieve
those mutations.

Cheers,

        - Joel

* Re: In eshell, how to translate aliases that "eval" output from scripts
@ 2024-08-11 23:48   ` Joel Reicher
From: Joel Reicher @ 2024-08-11 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KARR, DAVID; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Joel Reicher <joel.reicher@gmail.com> writes:

> "KARR, DAVID" <dk068x@att.com> writes:
>
>> In my bash config, I have aliases whose value is like
>> ". scriptname".  These execute "scriptname", which is in the
>> path, the output of which are "export" and other shell
>> commands. This is a way of having a shell command implicitly
>> set environment variables that are used by later command
>> invocations.  What's the proper way to translate this to
>> eshell?
>
> If I've understood you correctly, you will need to re-implement
> the scripts/aliases in lisp.

Oh, I should perhaps also mention that eshell has the notion of an
eshell script, which you might prefer to "native" lisp.

(info "(eshell) Scripts")

Cheers,

        - Joel

* Re: In eshell, how to translate aliases that "eval" output from scripts
@ 2024-08-14  2:15 ` James Thomas
From: James Thomas @ 2024-08-14  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KARR, DAVID; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

KARR, DAVID wrote:

> In my bash config, I have aliases whose value is like ". scriptname".
> These execute "scriptname", which is in the path, the output of which
> are "export" and other shell commands. This is a way of having a shell
> command implicitly set environment variables that are used by later
> command invocations. What's the proper way to translate this to
> eshell?

(info "(eshell) Scripts") defines the '.', (info "(eshell) List of
Built-ins") defines 'export', and then, of course, there's (info
"(eshell) Aliases"). No translation should be necessary, isn't it?

* Re: In eshell, how to translate aliases that "eval" output from scripts
@ 2024-08-14 11:00   ` Joel Reicher
From: Joel Reicher @ 2024-08-14 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Thomas; +Cc: KARR, DAVID, Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

James Thomas <jimjoe@gmx.net> writes:

> KARR, DAVID wrote:
>
>> In my bash config, I have aliases whose value is like
>> ". scriptname".  These execute "scriptname", which is in the
>> path, the output of which are "export" and other shell
>> commands. This is a way of having a shell command implicitly
>> set environment variables that are used by later command
>> invocations. What's the proper way to translate this to eshell?
>
> (info "(eshell) Scripts") defines the '.', (info "(eshell) List
> of Built-ins") defines 'export', and then, of course, there's
> (info "(eshell) Aliases"). No translation should be necessary,
> isn't it?

It's possible the translation won't require altering any text, but
I'm fairly sure it still needs running the script in the eshell
interpreter to modify the eshell environment.

Cheers,

        - Joel