all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* color printing ?
@ 2019-04-14 10:25 Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2019-04-14 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I was surprised to see the syntax highlighted buffer printed in b/w.

Is there an easy way to print the faces (ie. without htmlizing+pdfizing the buffer) ?

Jean-Christophe Helary

* Re: color printing ?
@ 2019-04-14 12:41 ` Paul W. Rankin
From: Paul W. Rankin @ 2019-04-14 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary, help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019, at 8:25 PM, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
> I was surprised to see the syntax highlighted buffer printed in b/w.
>
> Is there an easy way to print the faces (ie. without htmlizing+pdfizing the buffer) ?

I think maybe ps-print-buffer-with-faces might help you.

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/PostScript.html

--
https://www.paulwrankin.com

* Re: color printing ?
@ 2019-04-14 12:54   ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2019-04-14 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> On Apr 14, 2019, at 21:41, Paul W. Rankin <hello@paulwrankin.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 14 Apr 2019, at 8:25 PM, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
>> I was surprised to see the syntax highlighted buffer printed in b/w.
>>
>> Is there an easy way to print the faces (ie. without htmlizing+pdfizing the buffer) ?
>
> I think maybe ps-print-buffer-with-faces might help you.
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/PostScript.html

Thank you Paul.

Would you know the reason why non-ascii characters are printed as ?????? ?

Jean-Christophe Helary

* Re: color printing ?
@ 2019-04-14 13:26     ` Paul W. Rankin
From: Paul W. Rankin @ 2019-04-14 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary, help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019, at 10:54 PM, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
> Would you know the reason why non-ascii characters are printed as ?????? ?

No idea sorry. But Emacs has always been a bit funny with Unicode support.

* Re: color printing ?
@ 2019-04-14 13:30   ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2019-04-14 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I tried to print a simple C buffer for my daughter and the default printout was in b/w, but all the Japanese characters were printed out nicely.

Then, after Paul's answer, I tried the ps-print-buffer-with-faces command and the syntax highlighting worked fine but all the Japanese characters were replaced by ???.

Then, after reading the documentation a bit, I tried to
(setq ps−multibyte−buffer ’non−latin−printer)

but now the Japanese characters are totally mojibaked:
 // $*$_$/$8$NFbMF0lMw

so I tried 'bfd-fonts and I got a weird message about having no font for ascii, and with 'bfd-fonts-except-latin, I'm back to ???

All that is so 20th century...

Jean-Christophe Helary

> On Apr 14, 2019, at 21:41, Paul W. Rankin <hello@paulwrankin.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 14 Apr 2019, at 8:25 PM, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
>> I was surprised to see the syntax highlighted buffer printed in b/w.
>>
>> Is there an easy way to print the faces (ie. without htmlizing+pdfizing the buffer) ?
>
> I think maybe ps-print-buffer-with-faces might help you.
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/PostScript.html <https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/PostScript.html>
>
> --
> https://www.paulwrankin.com <https://www.paulwrankin.com/>

Jean-Christophe Helary

* Re: color printing ?
@ 2019-04-14 14:14     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-04-14 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <brandelune@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2019 22:30:11 +0900
>
> I tried to print a simple C buffer for my daughter and the default printout was in b/w, but all the Japanese characters were printed out nicely.
>
> Then, after Paul's answer, I tried the ps-print-buffer-with-faces command and the syntax highlighting worked fine but all the Japanese characters were replaced by ???.
>
> Then, after reading the documentation a bit, I tried to
> (setq ps−multibyte−buffer ’non−latin−printer)
>
> but now the Japanese characters are totally mojibaked:
>  // $*$_$/$8$NFbMF0lMw
>
> so I tried 'bfd-fonts and I got a weird message about having no font for ascii, and with 'bfd-fonts-except-latin, I'm back to ???

You will be better off reporting this as a bug and CC'ing Kenichi
Handa, who wrote ps-mule stuff.

* Re: color printing ?
@ 2019-04-14 14:19       ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2019-04-14 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw