all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Position of frames
@ 2012-09-09  6:58 Erich Neuwirth
From: Erich Neuwirth @ 2012-09-09  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In my .emacs I have the followind code to set the size and the position of the frame
opened at startup

(defun arrange-frame (w h x y)
  "Set the width, height, and x/y position of the current frame"
  (let ((frame (selected-frame)))
    (delete-other-windows)
    (set-frame-position frame x y)
    (set-frame-size frame w h)))

(arrange-frame 80 50 500 50)

It works at startup. But when I open another frame with C-x 5 2,
the new frame does not use size and position as described above.

Is there a way I can control these settings for any new frames from .emacs?

* RE: Position of frames
@ 2012-09-09  7:11 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-09-09  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Erich Neuwirth', help-gnu-emacs

> Is there a way I can control these settings for any new
> frames from .emacs?

Customize user option `default-frame-alist'.  For special-display buffers,
customize `special-display-frame-alist'.

For recent Emacs 24 builds you can alternatively customize option
`display-buffer-alist' (if you can understand it).

(There is also an option `initial-frame-alist', but you probably won't need to
fiddle with that.)