Using AUCTeX, which marks up section titles (and other text) using larger-than-normal letters, I regularly get horribly wrong word wrapping (see attached screenshot). I use longlines-mode and have `longlines-wrap-follows-window-size' set to t, which, according to the doc string, means that "Non-nil means wrapping and filling happen at the edge of the window". I won't explain further, because it should be clear why this occurs. Longlines wraps lines before (window-width) and that's a conceptual mistake in times of variable-width fonts and syntax highlighting. PS.: Apologies if I have reported this before - I can't remember and nothing (like display-time word wrapping) has been done in that respect.