all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Draw a bar that takes the full height of a line?
@ 2020-06-27 18:39 Yuan Fu
From: Yuan Fu @ 2020-06-27 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

For an org table that contains images, the bar used to delimit each cell doesn’t look good:

I wish the bar can be longer. Is it possible to draw a bar that takes the full height of the line? I tried unicode box drawing characters, they don't work either.

Thanks.
Yuan

* Re: Draw a bar that takes the full height of a line?
@ 2020-06-27 19:03 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-06-27 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2020 14:39:12 -0400
>
> I wish the bar can be longer. Is it possible to draw a bar that takes the full height of the line? I tried unicode box drawing characters, they don't work either.

You can use something like help-fns.el does:

            (insert "\n\n"
                    (eval-when-compile
                      (propertize "\n" 'face
                                  '(:height 0.1 :inverse-video t :extend t)))
                    "\n")

but without the smaller :height.

* Re: Draw a bar that takes the full height of a line?
@ 2020-06-27 20:28   ` Yuan Fu
From: Yuan Fu @ 2020-06-27 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> On Jun 27, 2020, at 3:03 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> From: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>
>> Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2020 14:39:12 -0400
>>
>> I wish the bar can be longer. Is it possible to draw a bar that takes the full height of the line? I tried unicode box drawing characters, they don't work either.
>
> You can use something like help-fns.el does:
>
>            (insert "\n\n"
>                    (eval-when-compile
>                      (propertize "\n" 'face
>                                  '(:height 0.1 :inverse-video t :extend t)))
>                    "\n")
>
> but without the smaller :height.

Exactly what I needed, thanks! What I end up using:

(insert (propertize "x" 'display '(space :width (1))
                    'face '(:inverse-video t)))

Yuan