all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to mark new text in a buffer ?
@ 2009-12-04 10:28 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2009-12-04 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I am looking for the best way to identify new entered text into a
buffer and show that information.

For example, I am visiting a file-based buffer -i.e. a buffer
visiting a file. It has already content and I am typing something
like "foo bar". I want to display "foo bar" in such a way that we
get direct information on what is new and what is old.

Any idea ?

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: How to mark new text in a buffer ?
       [not found] <mailman.12167.1259922473.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-12-04 12:25 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-12-04 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for the best way to identify new entered text into a
> buffer and show that information.
>
> For example, I am visiting a file-based buffer -i.e. a buffer
> visiting a file. It has already content and I am typing something
> like "foo bar". I want to display "foo bar" in such a way that we
> get direct information on what is new and what is old.
>
> Any idea ?

M-x diff-buffer-with-file RET RET

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

@ 2009-12-04 12:44 ` LanX
From: LanX @ 2009-12-04 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 4 Dez., 11:28, Xavier Maillard <x...@gnu.org> wrote:
> I am looking for the best way to identify new entered text into a
> buffer and show that information.

M-x highlight-changes-mode ???

* Re: How to mark new text in a buffer ?
@ 2009-12-04 13:09   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2009-12-04 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Pascal J. Bourguignon; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> writes:

   > Hi,
   >
   > I am looking for the best way to identify new entered text into a
   > buffer and show that information.
   >
   > For example, I am visiting a file-based buffer -i.e. a buffer
   > visiting a file. It has already content and I am typing something
   > like "foo bar". I want to display "foo bar" in such a way that we
   > get direct information on what is new and what is old.
   >
   > Any idea ?

   M-x diff-buffer-with-file RET RET

Rhaa exactly ! Thank you very much.

	Xavier
--

@ 2009-12-04 15:48   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-12-04 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I am looking for the best way to identify new entered text into a
> buffer and show that information.

In addition to what has already been mentioned (`highlight-changes-mode' and
`diff-buffer-with-file'), and depending on what you need, you also have `M-o o'
and the other `M-o' keys (use `C-u'). These are also available from menu Edit >
Text Properties > Face (without `C-u'). But be aware that this does not work
with font-lock-mode. See `(emacs)Format Faces'.