all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problem with editting files on a Windows share
@ 2009-02-23  9:29 zontom
From: zontom @ 2009-02-23  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sorry for the length explanation, but I actually don't quite know what
is happening precisely...

If I understand thing correctly, Emacs stores a temporary version of
the buffer you are working in somewhere in a temp folder on the system
when you are visiting a file. When you save the file, what actually
happens is that the temporary file is copied to the actual location of
the file (so I am NOT talking about the automatic backup (~) files
Emacs stores in the same directory).

I am using Emacs on a Linux machine to edit files on a Windows (cifs)
share. The problem is that Emacs constantly thinks that my current
buffer differs form the most recent change, so it keeps asking if I
really want to edit/save the file.

The reason this happens might be that Windows treats dot-files
differently in terms of permissions than other files (and the temporary
file mentioned above is a dot file). So this would cause Emacs being
unable to change the file it just created itself.
So a (bit quick and dirty) workaround for this problem would be to have
Emacs use other names for these temporary files (preferrably NOT
starting with a dot).
Would anybody know how to achieve this..?!?
Is there an option I can set in my .emacs file that can do this?!?

(Or another solution would be highly appreciated too, because I quite
ran out of ideas/options...).

Many thanks!

Tom

* Re: Problem with editting files on a Windows share
@ 2009-02-23 13:42 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-02-23 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: zontom; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 23.02.2009 um 10:29 schrieb zontom:

> If I understand thing correctly, Emacs stores a temporary version
> of the buffer you are working in somewhere in a temp folder on the
> system when you are visiting a file.

I don't think so.

I can see that GNU Emacs creates, in the directory the file is, a sym-
link

	.#<file name> -> <user>@localhost.<PID of GNU Emacs editing the file>

If GNU Emacs crashes or gets killed the unsaved buffer is saved as

	#<file name>#

You seem to have the problem that the attributes (time stamp of last
modification) of the files (and sym-links) on the CIFS share are
updated more often then their contents. I seem to remember having had
the same problem (on Fedora Core), plus encoding (of file names *and*
their contents), but don't remember my solution. Working on a sym-
link to the original file might be an option ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Remember: use logout to logout.