all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs (newbie, help)
@ 2009-03-18 19:54 Efren Bravo
From: Efren Bravo @ 2009-03-18 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I came from borland's world, this's the first time that I use Emacs and I would like to configure it as C/C++ IDE. I've it middle configured but I want some other adjustments that I've not been able to do yet.

- I like the reserved words green and bold: int, float, double, char, void, return etc...
- # directive in green color: #include, #pragma, #ifndef, etc...
- Strings in blue color
- Integers and floats in red color

- Actiavte Cut/Copy/Paste (Ctrl+X/Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V) and Undo (Ctrl+Z)
- Save (Ctrl+S)
- Vertical Scroll Bar on the right side of the windows

Hope you can point me in the right direction,
Thanks in advance

* Re: Emacs (newbie, help)
@ 2009-03-19  7:04 ` Chris
       [not found] ` <mailman.3555.1237456138.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Chris @ 2009-03-19  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efren Bravo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Efren Bravo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I came from borland's world, this's the first time that I use Emacs and I would like to configure it as C/C++ IDE. I've it middle configured but I want some other adjustments that I've not been able to do yet.
>
> - I like the reserved words green and bold: int, float, double, char, void, return etc...
> - # directive in green color: #include, #pragma, #ifndef, etc...
> - Strings in blue color
> - Integers and floats in red color

I haven't configured the display of cc-mode.
> - Actiavte Cut/Copy/Paste (Ctrl+X/Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V) and Undo (Ctrl+Z)
> - Save (Ctrl+S)

By default, it's C-w, M-w, C-y and C-/.
Save C-x C-s.

C-x, C-c, C-v, C-z and C-s are very important in emacs. If you change
them, You may be confused when you use other features.

C-x and C-c are prefix keys, I don't know how to change them.

If you need to change some key bindings, global-unset-key and
global-set-key can help you. Some other related functions are define-key
local-set-key ...

C-h C-h shows you the help for help.

> - Vertical Scroll Bar on the right side of the windows

(customize-set-variable 'scroll-bar-mode 'right)

> Hope you can point me in the right direction,
> Thanks in advance

I'm also a newbie, but I don't think the default key bindings bring me
troubles.

* Re: Emacs (newbie, help)
@ 2009-03-19  9:48 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.3555.1237456138.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-19  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efren Bravo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.03.2009 um 20:54 schrieb Efren Bravo:

> - I like the reserved words green and bold: int, float, double,
> char, void, return etc...

Invoke M-x describe-text-properties RET on any character in such a
faulty coloured world and change either the colour of the "face" or
choose another face and use it as a new binding. It all can be done
with the customisation interface.

> - # directive in green color: #include, #pragma, #ifndef, etc...
> - Strings in blue color
> - Integers and floats in red color

Again, investigate which customisations GNU Emacs offers. M-x list-
colors-display RET can give you hints how the name of a colour looks
like.

> - Actiavte Cut/Copy/Paste (Ctrl+X/Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V) and Undo (Ctrl+Z)

There is a cua called mode I deliberately never use.

> - Save (Ctrl+S)

I'd rather change manners! C-s or incremental-search or isearch is
too important. (But you can change key bindings. Look into the
manual: C-h i m Emacs RET)

> - Vertical Scroll Bar on the right side of the windows

How comes that you have it on the wrong side? M-x info-apropos RET
scrollbar RET will give you a hypertext menu of documentation on the
keyword. You can achieve things for example by:

	(setq default-frame-alist
	  (append (list
	    '(vertical-scroll-bars . left)
	    ) default-frame-alist))

(There are also other means to manipulate default-frame-alist or
initial-frame-alist – and of course members!)

Besides, it's mostly useful to read the tutorial: C-h t. Or look into
the menus (Options for example, that has "Customize Emacs"), here
particularly Help.

--
Greetings

   Pete

»¿ʇı̣ əsnqɐ ʇ,uɐɔ noʎ ɟı̣
ɓuı̣ɥʇʎuɐ sı̣ pooɓ ʇɐɥʍ«

* Re: Emacs (newbie, help)
       [not found] ` <mailman.3555.1237456138.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-03-20  1:06   ` Christian Herenz
From: Christian Herenz @ 2009-03-20  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Dyballa schrieb:

>> - Vertical Scroll Bar on the right side of the windows
> How comes that you have it on the wrong side?

Isn't the left side default? At least on debian it is...

Greets,
Christian

* Re: Emacs (newbie, help)
@ 2009-03-20  9:32     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-20  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Herenz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 20.03.2009 um 02:06 schrieb Christian Herenz:

> Isn't the left side default? At least on debian it is...

In Mac OS X and Solaris and (ancient) SunOS/Sunview it's right – and
I bet, it's in MS Losedos the same! I'm also pretty sure that Fedora
Core prefers right – it has to do with right-handedness of people.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Know thyself. Need help, call GOOGLE.

* Re: Emacs (newbie, help)
@ 2009-03-21  2:40     ` Efren Bravo
From: Efren Bravo @ 2009-03-21  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> >> - Vertical Scroll Bar on the right side of the
> windows
> > How comes that you have it on the wrong side?
>
> Isn't the left side default? At least on debian it
> is...

I'm using freeBSD 7.1 + Xfce4 and the Emcas comes by default on the left side and I prefer it on the right.

I already solved it, thanks...