On Friday, March 21, 2014 at 4:47 PM, Dmitry Gutov wrote: > Bozhidar Batsov writes: > > > Here's a few examples: > > > > "this is #$$" > > > > var = $! > > > > Things are different for: > > > > "this is #$1" > > > > var = $1 > > Have you tried it in the latest Emacs? For me, only one example > > "this is #$$" > > is not highlighted (I'll fix that). > > > There's another thing to consider - do built-in global vars should be > > font-locked like built-ins or like the other (user-defined) global > > variables? Personally I'd font-lock them as built-in to underline their > > significance. > > > > > Hmmm, maybe. But we also highlight nil, self, true, false, __LINE__, > __ENCODING__ and __FILE__ with font-lock-variable-name-face. Should we > change these, too? > > Technically speaking all of those are keywords, not variables. Somewhat odd __LINE__ and friends are treated at string literals by the Ruby parser. As all of those evaluate to some value unlike most other keywords I guess it makes some sense to font-lock them as variables, but I’d prefer if we used font-locking that makes their special status more apparent.