I'm passing on a suggestion from a user for indentation when using word-wrap. I know this has been suggested but deferred back when word-wrap was implemented. I would propose to tie indentation to a syntax-specific variable set by major modes, so that indentation can occur, for example, after every \item set in latex-mode, or after lines starting with "- " in text-mode, or "* " in wikipedia-mode. [The current auto-indentation function in auto-fill-mode, adding a new "- " before every line rather than indenting it, has proven more annoying than useful in my own use. But that's another issue.] Begin forwarded message: > From: William Henney > Date: 18 February 2009 14:24:14 EST > To: Aquamacs-devel@aquamacs.org > Subject: [Aquamacs-devel] enhancement to word-wrap feature for > indented text > Reply-To: Development of Aquamacs Emacs > > Dear Aquamacs devs > > I do very much like the new(ish) soft word-wrap feature in Aquamacs. > It is a big improvement on the old longlines mode. > > What would make it even better would be if it preserved the whitespace > indentation of the line. That is, instead of the buffer showing this: > > | An indented long line | > ...|that is wrapped | > > it would instead show this: > > | An indented long line | > ...| that is wrapped | > > Note that '|' indicates the borders of the editing window and '...' is > the continuation mark in the gutter. > > Does this sound like a sane suggestion? > > Cheers > > Will > > -- > > Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica, > Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia