On Apr 10, 2011, at 11:02 AM, Andreas Röhler wrote: > Am 10.04.2011 10:49, schrieb Tom: >> I know there are the `invisible' and `intangible' properties to >> hide parts of the buffer from the user, but these hidden regions >> are apparently not hidden from lisp commands like >> query-replace-regexp. >> > > If query-replacs goes into `intangible' sounds like a bug for me. > > Whilst with `invisible' it seems reasonable. Emacs don't need eyes... :) `intangible' is a new concept to me. For anyone else trying to follow along, intangible is documented in the Elisp manual (but not in Emacs' Concept Index which is the first place I looked). One thing it mentions: > When the variable `inhibit-point-motion-hooks' is non-`nil', the > `intangible' property is ignored. I assume that is not set but it might be. From grep'ing the source and looking at what is in the Elisp manual and the comments in the code, I too would expect searches to not enter intangible areas. The code also mentioned "sticky forward" and "sticky backward" -- not sure what that is (yet) but that might be affecting things too.