On Apr 21, 2009, at 3:29 PM, Michael Albinus wrote: > David Abrahams writes: > >> Opening remote files/directories via TRAMP is wicked slow on MacOS; >> the >> same operation on a linux emacs running on the same hardware is >> practically instantaneous. Turns out that applying the enclosed >> patch >> makes the symptom go away. I'm not an expert on emacs process >> handling, >> but that tells me emacs probably isn't detecting output from the >> process >> until the timeout (usually 1 second for TRAMP) is reached. > > Reading > > indicates, one shall set `process-connection-type' to `nil'. This is > also documented in Bugs 2056, 2503, 2639, 2717. > > OTOH, the comment for `tramp-process-connection-type' says that it's > not > applicable for Tramp. > > Hmm. What happens, when you set `tramp-process-connection-type' to > `nil'? > Does Tramp still work on your mac? Nope. > How fast? It fails very slowly ;-) A full TRAMP log is enclosed.