all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs doesn't quit at the end of an X session
@ 2007-10-22 18:53 Sebastian Kaps
       [not found] ` <mailman.2434.1193083486.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sebastian Kaps @ 2007-10-22 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

I'm running Emacs 23 in X11.
When I keep Emacs running and end my X session, Emacs doesn't quit.
Instead it blocks the X server until it is forcibly killed. There are no
unsaved buffers, so no dialogs should prevent it from exiting cleanly.

Does anyone know why this happens?

--
Ciao, Sebastian

* Re: Emacs doesn't quit at the end of an X session
@ 2007-10-22 20:04 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.2434.1193083486.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-10-22 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Kaps; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 22.10.2007 um 20:53 schrieb Sebastian Kaps:

> Does anyone know why this happens?

Did you look into the *Messages* buffer? Does xkill, for example from
*shell* buffer, work?

BTW, you seem to be using Unicode Emacs 23.0.0 (which is now at
version 23.0.60), not GNU Emacs 23.0.50 from CVS. This might cause a
difference, doing some lengthy fonts caching or such ... Is it
operable before you quit X11? How do you launch X11 and Unicode
Emacs? Which Linux, which X server, which X window manager?

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Time flies like an error -- but fruit flies like a banana!
                              (almost Groucho Marx)

@ 2007-10-22 21:30   ` Sebastian Kaps
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2438.1193091366.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sebastian Kaps @ 2007-10-22 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

// Peter Dyballa writes:

> Did you look into the *Messages* buffer? Does xkill, for example from
> *shell* buffer, work?

When I end the X session, there's nothing I can do anymore. Usually all
applications quit, then the X server shuts down and I'm back at the
console. When Emacs is running, all applications quit, but the X server
does not terminate. I still see my wallpaper and I can move the mouse,
that's all.
When I switch to the console manually and kill the Emacs process, the X
server instantly shuts down. If I don't it takes quite a long time (a
minute or so) for the X server to finally shut down.

> BTW, you seem to be using Unicode Emacs 23.0.0 (which is now at  version
> 23.0.60), not GNU Emacs 23.0.50 from CVS.

M-x version says it's
,----
`----
It's a Debian/Ubuntu package from <http://ppa.launchpad.net/avassalotti/ubuntu>

> Is it operable before you quit X11?

What do you mean? As long as my X session is running, I can work with
Emacs.

> How do you launch X11 and Unicode Emacs?

The X session is started by gdm and I'm running Emacs with
,----
`----

> Which Linux, which X server, which X window manager?

Ubuntu 7.10 AMD64, X.org 7.2 with Compiz.

--

@ 2007-10-22 22:15     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2438.1193091366.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-10-22 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Kaps; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 22.10.2007 um 23:30 schrieb Sebastian Kaps:

> | /usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-gtk --enable-font-backend --iconic

Is there any reason why the line does *not* end with an ampersand ``&
´´? IMO this leads to the effect described. I am not using gdm, just
a simple ~/.xinitrc file, and the only X client that is launched
without ``&´´ is an xterm with a login session. If I quit this, the X
server shuts down.

How are the other X clients launched? What happens when you launch /
usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-gtk with the same options and a final ``&´´
from some shell? Does this Emacs shut down when the X server shuts down?

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

$ sumascii BILL GATES
   B   I   L   L   G   A   T   E   S
  66+ 73+ 76+ 76+ 71+ 65+ 84+ 69+ 83 = 663

  and add 3 because he's Bill Gates the third.

@ 2007-10-23  7:47       ` Sebastian Kaps
From: Sebastian Kaps @ 2007-10-23  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

// Peter Dyballa writes:

> Is there any reason why the line does *not* end with an ampersand ``&
> ´´?

I'm not starting emacs from my .xinitrc but through an icon in GNOME.
Sorry I didn't mention that earlier.

I think I solved the problem: It seems to be caused by the dumb
GNOME session management. Although the session configuration dialog
didn't show any sign of emacs being started by the session management
there still was an entry in the corresponding configuration file.
Having removed that everything works fine now.

--
Ciao, Sebastian