all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#64650: mode-line-compact remaps multiple lighters into a single lighter
@ 2023-07-15 14:23 uzibalqa via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: uzibalqa via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2023-07-15 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 64650

When one has a multiple lighters, doing (setq mode-line-compact 1) makes the lighters
inaccessible because tho lighters are remapped to a single lighter.

* bug#64650: mode-line-compact remaps multiple lighters into a single lighter
  2023-07-15 14:23 bug#64650: mode-line-compact remaps multiple lighters into a single lighter uzibalqa via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
@ 2023-07-15 14:48 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-07-15 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa; +Cc: 64650

> Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 14:23:30 +0000
> From:  uzibalqa via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>

> When one has a multiple lighters, doing (setq mode-line-compact 1) makes the lighters
> inaccessible because tho lighters are remapped to a single lighter.

What do you mean by "inaccessible" in this case?

* bug#64650: mode-line-compact remaps multiple lighters into a single lighter
@ 2023-07-15 14:51   ` uzibalqa via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: uzibalqa via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2023-07-15 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 64650

> > When one has a multiple lighters, doing (setq mode-line-compact 1) makes the lighters
> > inaccessible because tho lighters are remapped to a single lighter.
>

> What do you mean by "inaccessible" in this case?

I cannot click on them.

* bug#64650: mode-line-compact remaps multiple lighters into a single lighter
@ 2023-07-15 15:05     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-07-15 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa; +Cc: 64650

merge 64650 59505
thanks

> Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 14:51:57 +0000
> From: uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me>
> Cc: 64650@debbugs.gnu.org
>
> > > When one has a multiple lighters, doing (setq mode-line-compact 1) makes the lighters
> > > inaccessible because tho lighters are remapped to a single lighter.
> >

> > What do you mean by "inaccessible" in this case?
>
> I cannot click on them.

That's a known limitation of mode-line-compact, see bug#59505.

* bug#64650: mode-line-compact remaps multiple lighters into a single lighter
@ 2023-07-15 15:18       ` uzibalqa via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: uzibalqa via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2023-07-15 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 64650

> > > What do you mean by "inaccessible" in this case?
> >
> > I cannot click on them.
>

> That's a known limitation of mode-line-compact, see bug#59505.

It is not a limitation.  It just makes the lighters inoperable.
Although it looks like compactness does something, what it does
is only cosmetic.  It is like an american bimbo that's got nothing
in it.

* bug#64650: mode-line-compact remaps multiple lighters into a single lighter
@ 2023-07-15 15:25         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-07-15 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa; +Cc: 64650

> Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 15:18:29 +0000
> From: uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me>
> Cc: 64650@debbugs.gnu.org
>
> On Sunday, July 16th, 2023 at 3:05 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> > > I cannot click on them.
> >

> > That's a known limitation of mode-line-compact, see bug#59505.
>
> It is not a limitation.  It just makes the lighters inoperable.

They are not inoperable: you can click mouse-3 on them, and you will
see a menu where you enable or disable individual minor modes.

> Although it looks like compactness does something, what it does
> is only cosmetic.  It is like an american bimbo that's got nothing
> in it.

You don't have to use this feature if you don't like it.  We
implemented it at a specific request of someone who does want to use
it.

* bug#64650: mode-line-compact remaps multiple lighters into a single lighter
@ 2023-07-15 15:58           ` uzibalqa via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: uzibalqa via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2023-07-15 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 64650

> > > That's a known limitation of mode-line-compact, see bug#59505.
> >
> > It is not a limitation. It just makes the lighters inoperable.
>

> They are not inoperable: you can click mouse-3 on them, and you will
> see a menu where you enable or disable individual minor modes.
>
> > Although it looks like compactness does something, what it does
> > is only cosmetic. It is like an american bimbo that's got nothing
> > in it.
>

> You don't have to use this feature if you don't like it. We
> implemented it at a specific request of someone who does want to use
> it.

It would have value if compact keeps the mode line in its original condition
but without the multiple spaces.  Otherwise we can have the modeline itself
have only single spaces between entities.  That change would be suitable
for everybody.  The idea of the mode line is that its provisions are available
for use.

* bug#64650: mode-line-compact remaps multiple lighters into a single lighter
@ 2023-07-23 12:53           ` Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2023-07-23 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: uzibalqa, 64650

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> They are not inoperable: you can click mouse-3 on them, and you will
> see a menu where you enable or disable individual minor modes.

Btw, I fixed the lighters' mouse-1 menus on the master branch (but
wasn't aware of this bug report at the time.)  I guess this report can
be closed now?

* bug#64650: mode-line-compact remaps multiple lighters into a single lighter
@ 2023-07-23 13:28             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-07-23 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: uzibalqa, 64650

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me>,  64650@debbugs.gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 20:53:22 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > They are not inoperable: you can click mouse-3 on them, and you will
> > see a menu where you enable or disable individual minor modes.
>
> Btw, I fixed the lighters' mouse-1 menus on the master branch (but
> wasn't aware of this bug report at the time.)  I guess this report can
> be closed now?

Yes, thanks.

* bug#64650: mode-line-compact remaps multiple lighters into a single lighter
@ 2023-07-24  0:06               ` Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2023-07-24  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: uzibalqa, 64650-done

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes: