all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Visiting inexistent file
@ 2009-11-23 10:27 Urban Gabor
       [not found] ` <mailman.11327.1258973509.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Urban Gabor @ 2009-11-23 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/plain, Size: 345 bytes --]

Hi guys,

I have an issue and I would like to have the most elegant solution.

Whenever I visit an inexistent file, I would like to load an empty template file for that type. EG.: for .c and .h files, for .py and so on.

Is there any possibility?

Thanx in advance,

Gabaux
Linux is like a wigwam: no gates, no windows, and an apache inside!

[-- Attachment #2: Type: TEXT/html, Size: 410 bytes --]

* Re: Visiting inexistent file
@ 2009-11-23 10:51 ` Bernardo
       [not found] ` <mailman.11327.1258973509.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bernardo @ 2009-11-23 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Hi guys,
>
> I have an issue and I would like to have the most elegant solution.
>
> Whenever I visit an inexistent file, I would like to load an empty template file
> for that type. EG.: for .c and .h files, for .py and so on.
>
> Is there any possibility?
>
> Thanx in advance,
>
> Gabaux

see this documentation page:
(info "(emacs) Autoinserting")

@ 2009-11-24 17:50   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-11-24 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bernardo wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I have an issue and I would like to have the most elegant solution.
>>
>> Whenever I visit an inexistent file, I would like to load an empty
>> template file for that type. EG.: for .c and .h files, for .py and so on.
>>
>> Is there any possibility?
>>
>> Thanx in advance,
>>
>> Gabaux
>

> see this documentation page:
> (info "(emacs) Autoinserting")

That gives: "No such node or anchor"

Maybe here:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AutoInsertMode

* Re: Visiting inexistent file
@ 2009-11-24 18:03     ` B. T. Raven
       [not found]       ` <mailman.11451.1259144602.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-11-24 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

B. T. Raven wrote:
> Bernardo wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> I have an issue and I would like to have the most elegant solution.
>>>
>>> Whenever I visit an inexistent file, I would like to load an empty
>>> template file for that type. EG.: for .c and .h files, for .py and so on.
>>>
>>> Is there any possibility?
>>>
>>> Thanx in advance,
>>>
>>> Gabaux
>>
>> see this documentation page:
>> (info "(emacs) Autoinserting")
>>

> That gives: "No such node or anchor"

However C-h i d m autotype shows:

6. Autoinserting

So:

(info "(autotype) autoinserting")

@ 2009-11-25 10:22       ` Bernardo
       [not found]       ` <mailman.11451.1259144602.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bernardo @ 2009-11-25 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

B. T. Raven said the following on 11/25/09 05:03:
> B. T. Raven wrote:

>>> see this documentation page:
>>> (info "(emacs) Autoinserting")
>>>

>> That gives: "No such node or anchor"

works fine here under GNU/Linux Emacs 23.1.1

> However C-h i d m autotype shows:
>
> 6. Autoinserting
>
> So:
>
> (info "(autotype) autoinserting")

i'm guessing you're running this under MS Windows (have seen a similar
effect on my PC at work)
looks like Autoinserting has been moved into a separate info file under
Windows, which is a bit of shame, it is not found in index under the
main info file

@ 2009-11-25 22:47         ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-11-25 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bernardo wrote:
> B. T. Raven said the following on 11/25/09 05:03:
>> B. T. Raven wrote:

>>> That gives: "No such node or anchor"
>
> works fine here under GNU/Linux Emacs 23.1.1
>

>> However C-h i d m autotype shows:
>>
>> 6. Autoinserting
>>
>> So:
>>
>> (info "(autotype) autoinserting")
>>

> i'm guessing you're running this under MS Windows (have seen a similar
> effect on my PC at work)
> looks like Autoinserting has been moved into a separate info file under
> Windows, which is a bit of shame, it is not found in index under the
> main info file

Correct. I guess the wigwam tag-line in the OP should have tipped me
off. I didn't know the info files linking was different on the two OSes.

* Re: Visiting inexistent file
@ 2009-11-26  9:26           ` harven
From: harven @ 2009-11-26  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:

>>> However C-h i d m autotype shows:
>>>
>>> 6. Autoinserting
>>>
>>> So:
>>>
>>> (info "(autotype) autoinserting")
>>>

>> i'm guessing you're running this under MS Windows (have seen a similar
>> effect on my PC at work)
>> looks like Autoinserting has been moved into a separate info file under
>> Windows, which is a bit of shame, it is not found in index under the
>> main info file
>>

> Correct. I guess the wigwam tag-line in the OP should have tipped me
> off. I didn't know the info files linking was different on the two OSes.

There is also a separate autotype info file under debian.

GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.16.5) of 2009-09-14 on raven, modified by Debian