all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Issues with edited files not being saved
@ 2015-09-15 20:33 warren ferguson
From: warren ferguson @ 2015-09-15 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I've just downloaded and build a recent version of emacs.

GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars)
> head -n 1 /.image
LinuxSET EC Image SLES11SP2-2 Revision 0 ia32e
> sysname -afs
x86-64_linux30

Unfortunately, when I edit a file and try to save it, the status line shows the usual "saving" message but that message never goes away indicating the save completed. While the attempt to save is ongoing, I can go to the terminal window and check that the file has not been updated to reflect the edits.
Interestingly, if I save the edited file to a new unused file name, the save does complete.
How do I determine why emacs is unable to write over the original file?
I checked file permissions, and they don't seem to be the source of the problem. Indeed, the emacs (version 23.2.1) that came with the OS is able to save edits to the same file.

* Re: Issues with edited files not being saved
@ 2015-09-15 21:47 ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2015-09-15 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2015-09-15 15:33 -0500, warren ferguson wrote:

> Unfortunately, when I edit a file and try to save it, the status line
> shows the usual "saving" message but that message never goes away
> indicating the save completed. While the attempt to save is ongoing, I
> can go to the terminal window and check that the file has not been
> updated to reflect the edits.  Interestingly, if I save the edited
> file to a new unused file name, the save does complete.  How do I
> determine why emacs is unable to write over the original file?

> I checked file permissions, and they don't seem to be the source of
> the problem. Indeed, the emacs (version 23.2.1) that came with the OS
> is able to save edits to the same file.

Compare output of ldd on both binaries.

Suspect selinux or other kernel "security" module.

* RE: Issues with edited files not being saved
@ 2015-09-15 23:04   ` warren ferguson
From: warren ferguson @ 2015-09-15 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Thanks Ian, but that wasn't the problem.

Here is the soluiton that worked.

In my .emacs file I had a untabify function, and when I added nil as the return value of that function my saves started working.
The hint was from this email was from a reader who sent me this link:

... a custom untabify function that returned nil to fix this issue: https://github.com/kaushalmodi/.emacs.d/blob/master/setup-files/setup-editing.el#L99

@ 2015-09-16  2:38     ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2015-09-16  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2015-09-15 18:04 -0500, warren ferguson wrote:

> In my .emacs file I had a untabify function, and when I added nil as
> the return value of that function my saves started working.
>
> The hint was from this email was from a reader who sent me this link:
>
> https://github.com/kaushalmodi/.emacs.d/blob/master/setup-files/setup-editing.el#L99

I am glad you fixed your problem, but this doesn't explain the
difference from the other version.  Emacs 23 already checked the return
values from members of write-file-functions (I know because I run it :P)