all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Question Regarding How To Adjust Default Zoom Level In Every New Buffer
@ 2022-05-24 14:58 Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2022-05-24 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg

Hello there,

Is there a way to adjust an Emacs config so that it adjusts the default zoom level to +1 or +2?

I ask because on my work Macbook, the default fonts are so small, but this is a limitation because of how dumb Macbooks interpret screen resolution when you connect two monitors to it since its based upon the laptop screen's resolution as the standard. Otherwise, you would have to blow up the text and font size of everything within the MacOS settings which makes web browsers look really jenky.

With this in mind, is there any way to adjust the 'text-scale-adjust' value so that it starts at +1 no matter what?

Thanks,

Sam

* Re: Question Regarding How To Adjust Default Zoom Level In Every New Buffer
@ 2022-05-24 15:38 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-05-24 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, 24 May 2022 at 10:58, Samuel Banya wrote:
> Otherwise, you would have to blow up the text and font size of
> everything within the MacOS settings which makes web browsers look
> really jenky.

I don't use a Mac so maybe I'm missing something but can you not specify
a larger font size for Emacs, i.e. within Emacs itself?  It's what I do
on a laptop that has a very high resolution but small physical size
screen, e.g.:

(set-face-attribute 'default nil :font "Iosevka Fixed" :height 220)

--
Eric S Fraga via gnus (Emacs 29.0.50 2022-05-23) on Debian 11.3

* RE: [External] : Question Regarding How To Adjust Default Zoom Level In Every New Buffer
@ 2022-05-24 16:14 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2022-05-24 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Banya, Emanuel Berg

> Is there a way to adjust an Emacs config so that it adjusts the default
> zoom level to +1 or +2?
>
> I ask because on my work Macbook, the default fonts are so small, but
> this is a limitation because of how dumb Macbooks interpret screen
> resolution when you connect two monitors to it since its based upon the
> laptop screen's resolution as the standard. Otherwise, you would have
> to blow up the text and font size of everything within the MacOS
> settings which makes web browsers look really jenky.
>
> With this in mind, is there any way to adjust the 'text-scale-adjust'
> value so that it starts at +1 no matter what?

Why do you want to start with +1 `text-scale-adjust',
as opposed to just setting the font with the size you
want in `default-frame-alist'?  That will give you
the baseline size you want for text-scaling (as zero,
not as +1).

(You could adjust that setting to whatever platform
you're currently running Emacs on.)

* Re: [External] : Question Regarding How To Adjust Default Zoom Level In Every New Buffer
@ 2022-05-24 16:58   ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2022-05-24 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams, Emanuel Berg

I mentioned the reason 'Why' in my initial post.

Is it possible to adjust the default zoom level of any new buffer to +1 by default?

Thanks,

Sam

@ 2022-05-24 16:59   ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2022-05-24 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg

Is it possible to instead set the zoom level to be +1 by default?

Thanks,

Sam

@ 2022-05-24 18:52     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2022-05-24 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Banya, Emanuel Berg
  Cc: 'Help-Gnu-Emacs (help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org)'

No, I don't think you did. You mentioned why you don't want the font to appear too small, by default. That's not the same as saying why you want `text-scaling' to default to +1.

If you want to recalibrate zooming so that what you now see as +1 becomes the new normal (aka 0), then change the default font size.

Why do you want to "adjust the default zoom level", instead of adjusting the default font size?

The default font size is set for a frame by frame attribute `font', and by default for all frames by option `default-frame-alist'. And that's equivalent to what Eric suggested: setting attribute `font' of face `default'.

Maybe you really want to see "+1" in the mode-line, as your starting point? Maybe you want `C-x 0' to continue to reset to the global default, and not to your "+1" scaling default? Maybe you have some other reason?

So far, you haven't said why you want to do what you asked, "as opposed to..."

`text-scale-adjust' works off of the default face height. Why don't you want to just change that default?

I mentioned the reason 'Why' in my initial post.
Is it possible to adjust the default zoom level of any new buffer to +1 by default?
> Is there a way to adjust an Emacs config so that it adjusts the default
> zoom level to +1 or +2?
>
> I ask because on my work Macbook, the default fonts are so small, but
> this is a limitation because of how dumb Macbooks interpret screen
> resolution when you connect two monitors to it since its based upon the
> laptop screen's resolution as the standard. Otherwise, you would have
> to blow up the text and font size of everything within the MacOS
> settings which makes web browsers look really jenky.
>
> With this in mind, is there any way to adjust the 'text-scale-adjust'
> value so that it starts at +1 no matter what?

Why do you want to start with +1 `text-scale-adjust',
as opposed to just setting the font with the size you
want in `default-frame-alist'?  That will give you
the baseline size you want for text-scaling (as zero,
not as +1).

(You could adjust that setting to whatever platform
you're currently running Emacs on.)

* FW: [External] : Question Regarding How To Adjust Default Zoom Level In Every New Buffer
@ 2022-05-24 18:54   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2022-05-24 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Help-Gnu-Emacs (help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org)'; +Cc: Samuel Banya

[Forwarding my initial msg to the list, as it got dropped from Reply All]

> Is there a way to adjust an Emacs config so that it adjusts the default
> zoom level to +1 or +2?
>
> I ask because on my work Macbook, the default fonts are so small, but
> this is a limitation because of how dumb Macbooks interpret screen
> resolution when you connect two monitors to it since its based upon the
> laptop screen's resolution as the standard. Otherwise, you would have
> to blow up the text and font size of everything within the MacOS
> settings which makes web browsers look really jenky.
>
> With this in mind, is there any way to adjust the 'text-scale-adjust'
> value so that it starts at +1 no matter what?

Why do you want to start with +1 `text-scale-adjust',
as opposed to just setting the font with the size you
want in `default-frame-alist'?  That will give you
the baseline size you want for text-scaling (as zero,
not as +1).

(You could adjust that setting to whatever platform
you're currently running Emacs on.)

[-- Attachment #2: winmail.dat --]
[-- Type: application/ms-tnef, Size: 14305 bytes --]

* Re: Question Regarding How To Adjust Default Zoom Level In Every New Buffer
@ 2022-05-24 19:03     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-05-24 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 12:59:22 -0400
> From: "Samuel Banya" <sbanya@fastmail.com>
>
> Is it possible to instead set the zoom level to be +1 by default?

That's equivalent to setting up your default face to use a larger size
of the font, so yes, it's possible.  See default-frame-alist, or maybe
set-face-attribute.

* Re: FW: [External] : Question Regarding How To Adjust Default Zoom Level In Every New Buffer
@ 2022-05-24 20:59     ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2022-05-24 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams, Emanuel Berg

I just want to change the default zoom to +1, that's it honestly.

@ 2022-05-25  0:49       ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2022-05-25  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg

I think I'm getting closer. I did some research on Stack Overflow and found a neat hook function idea that could run each time a new buffer is created:
- https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7899949/is-there-an-emacs-hook-that-runs-after-every-buffer-is-created

The answer at the very end looks like what I want to use:
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(if (not (active-minibuffer-window)) (do-something-as-it-is-not-minibuffer)))
#+end_src

My variation of this, which doesn't work unfortunately yet:
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (when (string= system-name "Samuels-MBP.tampabay.rr.com")
    (if (not (active-minibuffer-window)) (text-scale-increase)))
#+end_src

Going to see how to actually think to turn that person's pseudocode into actual elisp though.