all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com>
To: "'Adam Beneschan'" <adam@irvine.com>, <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
Subject: RE: Long buffer names in buffer menu
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:25:03 -0700	[thread overview]

> I tried using '+' and '-' as suggested by Drew but didn't get
> anywhere.  First of all, which + and - did this refer to: the ones on
> the numeric keypad, or the "normal" ones?

Both work. By default, in Emacs, keypad keys work the same as the normal-key
counterparts. "By default" here means unless you or some library gives them
different bindings.

> Anyway, I tried both and neither worked,

You must have GNU Emacs 22 or more recent for this feature. It won't work in
Emacs 20/21. And you must have loaded buff-menu+.el (not just the vanilla
buff-menu.el).

> but if you can tell me which what functions those are
> supposed to be bound to, I could set up something to bind those keys
> (or some other keys) and maybe get it to work.  I don't have mouse
> capability, by the way.

`+' is bound to `buffer-menu-increase-max-buffer+size'
`-' is bound to `buffer-menu-decrease-max-buffer+size'

> I don't have ebuff-menu.el.  When I downloaded this via Ubuntu's
> package manager, it gave me ebuff-menu.elc but not the .el file.
>
> I'm now thinking that I'll have to track down ebuff-menu.el myself and
> take a look at it; if I can do that and figure out how it works,
> perhaps I can just write a function that does what I need.  (Really,
> just setting up a key that would display the full buffer name in the
> minibuffer would be sufficient.)

So there is some confusion as to what you are using. Your initial mail spoke of
buff-menu.el, but it also spoke about "electric" buffer list. Those are two
different things.

What I mentioned to use is buff-menu+.el, which is an extension of the vanilla
buff-menu.el that comes with GNU Emacs. See the URL I pointed you to for more
info.

I know nothing about ebuff-menu.el, sorry.