With TinkerTool I changed a system-wide preference that all scroll- bars show two arrows at each end. Could be this changes the behaviour – or it's a Tiger (10.4.11) feature! > > >> Dragging at scroll-bar downwards scrolls the buffer until >> all its contents is scrolled away. > > This is currently the std behavior of scrollbars in the NS port. > Do other emacsen behave differently? It's not the standard behaviour in other Cocoa applications (in Terminal, Mail, Preview the scroll-bar stops and I see the bottom of the "buffer" at the window's bottom), this looks more like copying the bad manners of GTK. -- Greetings Pete To most people solutions mean finding the answers. But to chemists solutions are things that are still all mixed up.