all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* obsoleting yow.el?
@ 2013-02-16 18:39 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-02-16 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

When was it decided to consider yow.el obsolete?  I find no discussion in
emacs-devel or in any bug thread about it.  It seems to have been done without
discussion, for Emacs 24.4.  There is a NEWS item for it, at least.

FWIW, I disagree with this change.  Why was it made?
Was it proposed and discussed somewhere?  If not, why not?

yow.el was already discussed in 2006, when the question of copyright for the
`yow.lines' phrases came up.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2006-06/msg00502.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2006-06/msg00311.html

The decision was made then to keep yow.el and command `yow', but for copyright
reasons to replace the original quotations file with an almost empty yow.lines
with just a sample quotation.

That was a sensible decision.  Richard is gone now, and we get an apparently
surreptious change of yow.el to obsolescence.  Why?

What next, clandestine removal of `M-x doctor'?  Has the Texas state school
board moved in?

* Re: obsoleting yow.el?
@ 2013-02-17 13:03 ` Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-02-17 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 10:39:44 -0800
"Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

> FWIW, I disagree with this change.  Why was it made?
> Was it proposed and discussed somewhere?  If not, why not?

I also disagree with this change.  Personally, I use yow.el to return
or display a random Emacs tip in my echo area when Emacs enters idle.
I think it's a very useful feature.

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/XueFuqiao

* Re: obsoleting yow.el?
@ 2013-02-17 15:19   ` Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-02-17 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xue Fuqiao; +Cc: Drew Adams, emacs-devel

On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 21:03:16 +0800
Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 10:39:44 -0800
> "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
> > FWIW, I disagree with this change.  Why was it made?
> > Was it proposed and discussed somewhere?  If not, why not?
> Personally, I use yow.el to return
> or display a random Emacs tip in my echo area when Emacs enters idle.
> I think it's a very useful feature.

Although it seems that cookie1.el is more universal than yow.el,
obsoleting a library should be discussed in this list first, I think.

--

@ 2013-02-18  9:57 ` Nicolas Richard
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2013-02-18  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

It's hidden : see bug #9384 (http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=9384#31).

--
N.

* RE: obsoleting yow.el?
@ 2013-02-18 14:33   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-02-18 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Nicolas Richard', emacs-devel

> > When was it decided to consider yow.el obsolete?  I find no
> > discussion in emacs-devel or in any bug thread about it.
>
> It's hidden : see bug #9384
> (http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=9384#31).

Poor Emacs, indeed.

Can this unwiseness please be reverted?