all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Commenting Multiple Lines
@ 2011-09-18 18:20 Nachiappan A
From: Nachiappan A @ 2011-09-18 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi All,

I use C-c C-c to comment multiple lines, to un-comment multiple lines the
tutorial says give negative argument and C-c C-c.
How to provide negative argument ?

--
Regards
Nachiappan A

* Re: Commenting Multiple Lines
@ 2011-09-18 20:58 ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-09-18 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2011-09-18 20:20, Nachiappan A wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I use C-c C-c to comment multiple lines, to un-comment multiple lines
> the tutorial says give negative argument and C-c C-c.
> How to provide negative argument ?

There are a lot of different ways, but the most common are probably:

M-- C-c C-c
C-u - C-c C-c
C-- C-c C-c (doesn't work in terminals)

* Re: Commenting Multiple Lines
@ 2011-09-18 21:01 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-09-18 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nachiappan A; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Nachiappan A <nachimdu@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I use C-c C-c to comment multiple lines, to un-comment multiple lines
> the tutorial says give negative argument and C-c C-c.
> How to provide negative argument ?

C-h k M-;
C-h f comment-dwim

@ 2011-09-18 21:27 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-09-18 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Nachiappan A', help-gnu-emacs

> I use C-c C-c to comment multiple lines, to un-comment multiple
> lines the tutorial says give negative argument and C-c C-c.
> How to provide negative argument ?

Deniz already answered your negative-argument question.

But which command do you have bound to `C-c C-c'?
(You can use `C-h k' to find out.)

There are various ways to comment and uncomment multiple lines.
One way is to use command `comment-dwim', bound by default to `M-;'.
Jambunathan suggested using this.

"DWIM" means "do what I mean", and the idea is that the command
does different things in different contexts, but what it does is
always the right thing (what you meant) for each context.

FWIW, I find that "DWIM" is often misguided and presumptuous.
It too often really means "do something the command author thought
would be the right thing".

Personally, I prefer to use command `comment-region', which I bind
to `C-M-;'.  With a plain prefix argument (i.e., `C-u') it
uncomments the region.  It's an old command, simple and dependable.
It's not dwim: it never second-guesses you.

Use `C-h f' to find out more about any given function (e.g., command).

* Re: Commenting Multiple Lines
@ 2011-09-18 23:07   ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-09-18 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 11:01 PM, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:
> C-h f comment-dwim

Usually bound to M-; by default.

--
Suvayu

* Re: Commenting Multiple Lines
@ 2011-09-19  3:38     ` Nachiappan A
From: Nachiappan A @ 2011-09-19  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All,

Thanks for the reply. M-; works for me. It does both the job of commenting
and un-commenting.

@Drew Adams : When i did 'C-h k' and tried 'C-c C-c' below was the
description
"runs the command comment-region, which is an interactive compiled Lisp
function."

Just trying to understanding, both C-c C-c and M-; does the job of
commenting, what is the basic difference ?
Where can i find all such emacs shortcuts related to programming ?

One more question, is it allowed to resort help from group by sending out
mail to the group mail id
help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org ?

--

@ 2011-09-19  4:45       ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-09-19  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2011-09-19 05:38, Nachiappan A wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Thanks for the reply. M-; works for me. It does both the job of
> commenting and un-commenting.
>
> @Drew Adams : When i did 'C-h k' and tried 'C-c C-c' below was the
> description
> "runs the command comment-region, which is an interactive compiled Lisp
> function."
>
> Just trying to understanding, both C-c C-c and M-; does the job of
> commenting, what is the basic difference ?

C-c C-c is not a universal binding for commenting.  M-; is.  C-c C-c is
most likely bound by some major mode you are using.  Try it in e.g.
lisp-mode and you will see that it does not do commenting there.

> Where can i find all such emacs shortcuts related to programming ?

This also depends on the modes you are using.  You can use e.g. C-h b to
see all bindings currently active (usually a pretty long list), or you
can use C-h m to see a description of all modes you are currently using,
which narrows the list of bindings for each mode down.

* Re: Commenting Multiple Lines
@ 2011-09-19  6:00       ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2011-09-19  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 23:38:24 -0400
Nachiappan A <nachimdu@gmail.com> wrote:

> One more question, is it allowed to resort help from group by sending
> out mail to the group mail id
> help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org ?

Aren't you doing that right now? help-gnu-emacs is an open to all
discussion/help mailing list for Emacs. So yes, you can ask about
almost anything here as long as it is related to Emacs.

--
Suvayu