all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* compile buffer: hide/collapse displayed file paths?
@ 2013-06-28 23:05 Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2013-06-28 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When I run a "make" In compile mode, the error message output of gcc
contains full paths of source files containing errors.  Unfortunately,
these paths are often very long, so that neither the file name nor the
error/warning message is not visible in the compile buffer window.
This then requires a lot of extra keystrokes to switch windows, move
to the line in question, jump to the end of that line, then switch
back to the source file, rinse, repeat.

Is there any way to collapse/hide the file paths being shown in the
compiler buffer window so that I can see the compiler error/warning
messages without all the keyboard gymanstics?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! We are now enjoying
                                  at               total mutual interaction in

* Re: compile buffer: hide/collapse displayed file paths?
@ 2013-06-29  9:13 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2854.1372611954.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-06-29  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 29.06.2013 um 01:05 schrieb Grant Edwards:

> Is there any way to collapse/hide the file paths being shown in the
> compiler buffer window so that I can see the compiler error/warning
> messages without all the keyboard gymanstics?

The variable truncate-lines could be involved. I have not set it and I don't see any truncated lines.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Only useless documentation transcends the first two laws.
				– Arnold's Third Law of Documentation

* Re: compile buffer: hide/collapse displayed file paths?
@ 2013-06-29 12:36 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2013-06-29 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

() Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com>
() Fri, 28 Jun 2013 23:05:16 +0000 (UTC)

   Is there any way to collapse/hide the file paths being shown in the
   compiler buffer window so that I can see the compiler error/warning
   messages without all the keyboard gymanstics?

I use ovab.el, attached, on occasion.

[-- Attachment #1.2: ovab.el --]

After the compilation is finished, i manually type ‘M-x ovab RET’.
It's only on occasion because sometimes ignorance is bliss!  :-D
"Test failures?  What tests?  Errors?  What errors?  Compilation?
What compiler?  I just type code and ‘C-x C-s’, isn't that enough?!"

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
GPG key: 4C807502

* Re: compile buffer: hide/collapse displayed file paths?
@ 2013-06-30 17:05   ` Grant Edwards
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2854.1372611954.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Grant Edwards @ 2013-06-30 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2013-06-29, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

> Am 29.06.2013 um 01:05 schrieb Grant Edwards:
>
>> Is there any way to collapse/hide the file paths being shown in the
>> compiler buffer window so that I can see the compiler error/warning
>> messages without all the keyboard gymanstics?
>
> The variable truncate-lines could be involved. I have not set it and
> I don't see any truncated lines.

I don't really want the lines wrapped (which is what happens when you
unset truncate-lines).  I'd like the errors to remain one-per-line,
but I want to hide the long path info that I don't care about (emacs
has opened the file and moved the cursor to the right source line, so
there's no need for me to see the file's path in the compile buffer
window).

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Now I understand the
                                  at               meaning of "THE MOD SQUAD"!

@ 2013-06-30 17:12     ` Dan Espen
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2895.1372686955.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dan Espen @ 2013-06-30 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2013-06-29, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:
>>
>> Am 29.06.2013 um 01:05 schrieb Grant Edwards:
>>
>>> Is there any way to collapse/hide the file paths being shown in the
>>> compiler buffer window so that I can see the compiler error/warning
>>> messages without all the keyboard gymanstics?
>>
>> The variable truncate-lines could be involved. I have not set it and
>> I don't see any truncated lines.
>
> I don't really want the lines wrapped (which is what happens when you
> unset truncate-lines).  I'd like the errors to remain one-per-line,
> but I want to hide the long path info that I don't care about (emacs
> has opened the file and moved the cursor to the right source line, so
> there's no need for me to see the file's path in the compile buffer
> window).

Did you explain why you have long paths?
Are your Makefiles using full paths?
I used to have a few Makefiles like that and I decided it was not a good
idea.

--
Dan Espen

* Re: compile buffer: hide/collapse displayed file paths?
@ 2013-07-01 13:55       ` Grant Edwards
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2895.1372686955.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Grant Edwards @ 2013-07-01 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2013-06-30, Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> wrote:
> Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I don't really want the lines wrapped (which is what happens when you
>> unset truncate-lines).  I'd like the errors to remain one-per-line,
>> but I want to hide the long path info that I don't care about (emacs
>> has opened the file and moved the cursor to the right source line, so
>> there's no need for me to see the file's path in the compile buffer
>> window).
>
> Did you explain why you have long paths?

No, I didn't realize it was relevent to the question.

> Are your Makefiles using full paths?

Yes. The makefiles are auto-generated by an OS build system over which
I don't have control.

> I used to have a few Makefiles like that and I decided it was not a
> good idea.

Perhaps, but in this case, the relative path name from the build
directory to the source directory would in most cases be even longer
than the absolute path name.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Catsup and Mustard all
                                  at               over the place!  It's the

@ 2013-07-01 19:27         ` Dan Espen
From: Dan Espen @ 2013-07-01 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2013-06-30, Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> wrote:
>> Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I don't really want the lines wrapped (which is what happens when you
>>> unset truncate-lines).  I'd like the errors to remain one-per-line,
>>> but I want to hide the long path info that I don't care about (emacs
>>> has opened the file and moved the cursor to the right source line, so
>>> there's no need for me to see the file's path in the compile buffer
>>> window).
>>
>> Did you explain why you have long paths?
>
> No, I didn't realize it was relevent to the question.
>
>> Are your Makefiles using full paths?
>
> Yes. The makefiles are auto-generated by an OS build system over which
> I don't have control.

Bummer.

>> I used to have a few Makefiles like that and I decided it was not a
>> good idea.
>
> Perhaps, but in this case, the relative path name from the build
> directory to the source directory would in most cases be even longer
> than the absolute path name.

I'm an advocate for hand crafted Makefiles but I don't suppose you can
do much to change that where you are.

--
Dan Espen