all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Eric Abrahamsen <girzel@gmail.com>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: OSX terminal, system-wide Chinese input methods
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 12:37:13 +0800	[thread overview]

Hi there,

I'm having a Unicode-related problem which is particularly annoying
for being mysterious and only occasional. I use Emacs via Mac OSXs
terminal app. I do Chinese text entry using the QIM input method,
which is system-wide, under the input methods menu. MOST of the time,
Chinese input works correctly in Emacs, while sometimes it comes out
garbled. Pasting Chinese text into those buffers also result in
garbled text. Buffers sometimes start out garbled, but after I fiddle
around for a while, Chinese input suddenly works (it's never gone in
the other direction). I'm never really sure what I've done to get it
working, but it seems that newly-created buffers have this problem
more, while opening files that already have Chinese text in them never
causes problems. I use QIM for all programs and don't want to use the
Emacs-native input methods. This is my Emacs version:

GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin9.4.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0)

And I've got the following in my .emacs file:

(set-language-environment 'UTF-8)

I also tend to use the TeX input method when editing text-based files.

I ran describe-coding-environment on two different buffers, the first
where Chinese input wasn't working, the second on a buffer where it
was. There's hardly any difference between the two, but I also noticed
that, after doing this, Chinese input HAD started working in the first
buffer, so maybe this is already meaningless. You can see my
confusion...

Thanks in advance for any hints,

Eric

Originally NOT working: