all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gnus shows duplicate groups
@ 2016-06-01 11:44 Matthias Pfeifer
From: Matthias Pfeifer @ 2016-06-01 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am trying out gnus to read e-mail and have set it up to read gmail and
another email account via imap. gmail is gnus-selecct-method and other
account is in gnus-secondary-select-methods. I can access e-mail and it
looks nice, however If i start gnus i get a couple of buffers shown in two
ways like this: For folder Newsletter/xyz i do have two groups
"nnimap+gmail:Newsletter/xyz" and "Newsletter/xyz". This is a bit
disturbing and i wonder how i can set up in a way that gives me one group
per imap folder?

Matthias

* Re: Gnus shows duplicate groups
       [not found] <mailman.619.1464781488.1216.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2016-06-01 15:23 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-06-01 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Matthias Pfeifer <mpfeifer77@gmail.com> writes:

> I am trying out gnus to read e-mail and have
> set it up to read gmail and another email
> account via imap. gmail is
> gnus-selecct-method and other account is in
> gnus-secondary-select-methods. I can access
> e-mail and it looks nice, however If i start
> gnus i get a couple of buffers

You mean groups?

Because there is only one buffer when you start
Gnus - the group buffer :)

> shown in two ways like this: For folder
> Newsletter/xyz i do have two groups
> "nnimap+gmail:Newsletter/xyz" and
> "Newsletter/xyz". This is a bit disturbing
> and i wonder how i can set up in a way that
> gives me one group per imap folder?

You remove a group with C-k or
`gnus-group-kill-group' with point at the line
with that group's name.

You create a group with `G m' or
`gnus-group-make-group'. Be prepared to enter
a bunch of information. Use TAB to autocomplete
if that helps.

To get it all loctited shut you need a bunch of
settings in init files as well, but if you have
that and only want to manage groups, killing
and making should get you halfway there.

Also, depending on what you mean by
"newsletter", I'd recommend checking out Gmane
- if it is there already, that is a head start.
More on that here:

                   - so far: 42 Blogomatic articles -

@ 2016-06-03 17:43 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-06-03 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Matthias Pfeifer <mpfeifer77@gmail.com> writes:

> I have an e-mail account that i access via
> imap. In my account i do have an imap folder
> (eg newsletter). This folder is shown twice
> in gnus. Once as "nnimap+gmail:newsletter"
> and once as "newsletter".
>
> I wonder why this is and how i can
> prevent it.

What happens if you just remove (kill) the
undesired group? I.e., C-k or
`gnus-group-kill-group' in the Gnus
group buffer.

I'd kill the "newsletter" group first, and
postpone question until after that.

Another option would be to give one of the
a lower level (which means a higher number) and
then configure Gnus not to show it.

                   - so far: 45 Blogomatic articles -

@ 2016-06-04 10:20 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-06-04 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Matthias Pfeifer <mpfeifer77@gmail.com> writes:

> C-k works well! Even after if I restart the
> undesired groups are still vanished!
>
> Thank you!
>
> However I keep wondering why there are two
> groups for each imap folder...

Well, IMAP is advanced. One can think of
several possibilities. Perhaps one is the local
representation, and one the server? But this is
a wild guess, just like that computer game,
"Wild Arms" (Google "Wild Arms Theme" for
a song with good karma by the way).

IMAP is more advanced than POP. Here is an
article - or small text I should say - but it
doesn't go into details and certainly doesn't
answer this specific question.

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/blogomatic/gnus/rmail-gnus-pop-and-imap.html

But now when you have killed one group, perhaps
you'll find out its purpose :)

                   - so far: 47 Blogomatic articles -